Chapter 7: Cues

Shane was there before me tonight and I felt a pang in my chest. Abby was right, of course. I'd seen it the first time I'd seen him. There wasn't any light left in his eyes. He looked tired and he looked broken. I took a deep breath as Abby tried to guide me to the back room but I ushered her off without me. I hesitantly approached Shane and I could feel several pairs of eyes find me and remain on me as I did so.

I could see him stiffen where he stood in his corner when he saw me, but he made no attempt to move. "Hi," I breathed out as I stood a mere foot away from him.

"Adeline," he acknowledged, and I nodded. "You're back," he said coldly and I couldn't help but flinch.

"You don't have to do that."

"Do what?" he questioned.

"The cold and tough routine," I stated plainly. "If you don't want to talk, that's fine. But I'm not going anywhere, Shane... not this time. I'm here. And I will be here. And I will be here for you, whether you want me to be or not." I could see him suck in a breath and then take a sip of his beer.

"Sure," he responded after a long pause.

"I love you," I stated before heading to the back room where everyone else was. He stood, stunned in place, as I retreated.

"Sup' bitches," I greeted with a lopsided smile, putting on my happy face. Sam instantly cheered in response and came over to give me a, once again, crushing hug. But at least my feet remained solidly on the floor.

"Please, please save me from this game," Sam begged once he let go. I quirked an eyebrow at him and he fell to his knees. "Please, I need you, my knight in shining armor," he begged causing me to laugh.

"I might not be much better there, sweetie," I said as I briefly ruffled his hair but then moved to observe the pool table anyway. I'd only played a few times, but I'd watched several games of pool. For a while... I wasn't allowed to play. I was just the arm candy off to the side. The entertainment. I grabbed Sam's pool cue he'd left on the table and looked up to Sebastian who was studying me methodically.

"Whose move?" I asked. I played out the rest of Sam's game with Sebastian and lost spectacularly, as expected.

"Not bad," Sebastian commented after causing me to balk out a laugh.

"You slaughtered me!"

"I have lots of practice," he responded simply. I shook my head and turned to Sam.

"Sorry I didn't rescue you, Sammy. My poor princess waits alone in his castle, failed to be saved!"

"It's alright honeybee, there's always another day," he responded. I quirked an eyebrow at him causing him to stare at me intensely.

"Honeybee?" I questioned.

"What? You're sunshiny and sweet and necessary," he responded, confusing me further.

"Necessary? I'm necessary now?"

"Always," he responded as he threw an arm around my shoulder and allowed Sebastian to set up another game.