Chapter 9: Festival

Surprisingly, Sam kept to his word. Around seven the next day he showed up on the farm in jeans and a t-shirt and asked me to put him to work. Sam was strong, so I put him on the task of moving materials around the farm and splitting wood. I couldn't help but ogle him as the T-shirt clung to his skin from sweat, clearly showing the muscles that I already knew he had. But damn, seeing them was a whole other beast. I had to remind myself too many times to get back on task as I continued to work on the farm.

"Alright, we ought to go," Sam commented, and I looked up confused. "The egg festival?"

"What?" I asked dumbly and he sighed.

"Of course, no one told you. Okay, go shower real quick and get dressed in something simple. Head into town after that and you won't be able to miss it. The whole place is decked out. I'll be there as soon as I shower and change myself-"

"So will I!" Abby added. I nodded as Abby rushed through her last few tasks. "It's amazing I escaped the house before dad pulled me into helping! He's going to be so mad," she added.

"We'll explain to you once we meet back up," Sam finished. I nodded and headed for the house.

"Bring your cash! Dad has loads of Strawberry plants!" Abby called before I rushed into the house and did what Sam had told me to do.

Walking into town was an experience. Part of me felt like I was dreaming, considering none of this had been set up last night.

"Weird, isn't it?" Sebastian spoke into my ear causing me to jump.

"Sebastian!" I shouted as I smacked him in the chest. "You scared me half to death!"

"This festival just might be my death," he responded dully as he looked out at the town square.

"Don't be a downer!" Abby's voice traveled from the booth next to Harvey's clinic that I'd just noticed. Pierre was standing behind looking eager. "I got roped into helping since I wasn't available this morning," Abby called as the pair of us drew closer.

"Yes, my apologies for that Mr. Pierre," I spoke politely as I met his gaze.

"Yes, I've heard it's been you stealing my daughter's time," he responded, and I apprehensively nodded.

"She's been a great help, sir. I don't know where I'd be without her," I said truthfully. Pierre seemed to struggle with this information before sighing.

"At least you're keeping her out of trouble."

"Oh, of course, sir! She helps mostly with the garden, considering she knows so much from helping you!" I said with a bright smile.

"I'm glad you've picked some things up, Abigail," Pierre said stiffly causing her to avert her gaze.

"Abby mentioned strawberries?" I changed the subject and Pierre instantly transformed into a salesman. I bought as many strawberry plants as I could reasonably afford, which was only a dozen or so. Abby and Sam assured me they'd help me carry them home and I smiled.

"My helpers," I fake swooned once we had rescued Abigail from Pierre's salesman grasp.

"Anything for you babe," Abigail quipped, and we dissolved into a puddle of laughter. I barely saw the glimpse Sam and Sebastian shared as Abigail pulled me off telling me all about the egg hunt that would be occurring soon.