The Light in the Darkness (Lucifer x Angel!reader)

"Hey! Sam, are you okay?" Dean shook his brother lightly. "Sammy?"

Sam slowly opened his eyes and saw Dean's concerned face. Dean is his brother. They were at Bobby's place. Singer Salvage Yard, South Dakota, near Sioux Falls. Sam sighed and leaned back on the couch, closing his eyes again. He felt the exhaustion take over his body. "M'okay..." he muttered.

"Are you? Are you okay?"

Sam jumped up like a scared child and looked around in the room. That was neither Dean's nor Bobby's voice. In fact, he knew that voice too well. It was Luicfer's. Speaking of the devil, he sat on a chair in the corner, looking rather comfortable. "Just leave", growled Sam back.

Dean sighed as he looked at the empty chair his brother was staring at and grabbed Sam's collar. "Hey! Listen to me, God damn it! He's not real."

"Oh, tell your big brother that I am quite real." Lucifer smirked. "And I'm not going anywhere."

...

Sometimes, you missed him. His light was the purest and brightest the world had ever seen. He was the most beautiful angel of all time. And now he wasn't himself anymore. Lucifer had changed and there was no going back. He turned evil and you could never forgive him that.

You have never been a high ranked angel. As a simple guardian angel, you waited obediently for your time to come, for Sam Winchester to be born. There has always been so many of you guardian angels (because every single person has one) that you have never been considered important. That is why Lucifer's interest in you was unlikely and strange. Your best friend, Balthazar always teased you with him. He used to say that he was in love with you. But now Balthazar was dead and Lucifer suffered in a cage with Michael. You had no one left.

Lucifer was God's favourite, but he couldn't love the humans. You still remembered clearly the night before he fell. Luicfer spoke to no one but you. He came to you to confess. He told you everything. You knew about his plan.

[Flashback]

"I can't love them, (Y/n)! I love God, I love my brothers and sisters, I love you, but not those.. those hairless apes! We are much better than them, how can God not see that?"

"You shouldn't talk like this! If God hears this, he will be mad. We must obey. We were all made to follow orders, we can't question him now." you replied to him.

"Yes.. I can't question him if I want to stay here in Heaven..." He said and looked into your eyes, seeking for any reaction.

You felt desperate and scared, tears welling in your eyes. "You can't leave me here! You can't leave us alone."

"Come with me." Lucifer grabbed your hand before you could turn away. "Come with me. We'd be together against the world! We'd be free, no one would tell us what to do! Isn't that what you want?"

You shook your head. "I won't disobey. I can't. I'm willing to accept the humans if that means I can stay with God."

"(Y/n).. Please, I am begging you. Come with me. We could have our own realm, we could rule together! You and I." Luicfer begged you.

Your eyes widened when you understood what he meant. Lucifer's usually gorgeous and kind eyes shone with an eery light. He didn't only suggest deserting and falling from Heaven, but being together. "I thought you knew it by now... I believe I wasn't straight enough with you, (Y/n). I am in love with you."

Love for any other creature than God is a typical human trait. Human emotions are dangerous for angels and they usually indicate the angel's lack of devotion and obedience. And Luicfer risked everything just to confess his love for you. Tears spilled from your eyes and you quietly shook your head a little.

"Tomorrow dawn. Please be there. Join me if you change your mind.. If you don't.. I still want to see you. For one last time."

...

Lucifer was dragged into the Garden by his brothers. And there you stood, next to God. You betrayed Luicfer's trust. After he left you alone, you went to see God and told Him everything. Lucifer was banished. And the rest of the story is well-known to everyone. But only you knew that Lucifer wasn't always a heartless monster. Your last memory of him is his hurt look before he fell.

[End of Flashback]

You watched Sam Winchester look around wildly as a chased animal and your heart broke. How could Lucifer do that to him?

You stayed invisible and banished the hallucinations from his mind. At least Sam could have a peaceful night. That was the least you could do. After all, you had chosen duty over love, so you might as well just do your job properly.

Yes, Sam was having a peaceful time. But you weren't. Because the memory of the old Lucifer, the graceful angel had never left you. And occasionally, when you tried hard enough to understand your rather human emotions about your betrayal and Lucifer, you swore you could feel regret.