Goodbye, Sam Winchester (Sam x Reader)

"I'm sorry.."

You smiled sadly at Sam and shook your head. "Don't be. It's not your fault. We just simply can't be together."

Sam sighed and took your hand. "If there is any way to convince you to come with me-"
"There isn't. But it's okay. I'd only slow you down. Anyway, I'm better off on my own. I'm not used to working with others."

Sam nodded and bit his bottom lip. He really liked you, but you guys were obviously unable to work together, because you constantly worried about each other. Dean found that especially annoying. So you told Sam you couldn't do this and there you were, saying goodbye. The hard part about that was that you two never even had a chance. There is no way to know for sure what the future might have brought if you stayed together. Who knows? Maybe he was your soul mate.

Sam squeezed your hand a little and you looked into his eyes. "Bye, (Y/n)."

"Bye.."

He turned around and started walking towards the Impala and the impatiently waiting Dean. You sighed and a strange ache filled your chest. Something was not right. This is not supposed to happen, it must be a cruel jape. You turned around and faced the other way. You couldn't force yourself to look at Sam any longer.

"(Y/n)! (Y/n)," Sam shouted and jogged back to you. "Thank God you're still here. I forgot something."

You looked at him confused. "What?"

He placed a hand on your cheek and leaned in to kiss you. You kissed him back and slowly wrapped your arms around his neck. And for a moment, just for a brief moment, that pain subsided. You lost yourself in that short moment and held onto it for the rest of your life.
...

The Impala was just a tiny dot in the distance. You watched it slowly disappear and only then allowed yourself to start crying. You put your hands together, almost as if you were praying and whispered those little words which changed your life forever: "Goodbye, Sam Winchester."