15. The Past and the Present

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Celeste Allegra.

That was the name of the woman in our living room. She invited herself in. Agad ko namang pinaakyat sa itaas si Russle upang kausapin ang babae. Hindi ako ang pakay niya. She was waiting for my husband.

For some reason, Gotham's men didn't leave the vicinity. They were eyeing us like eagles waiting for the right moment to attack. Is she a threat? Wala akong ideya. Maganda siya at mukhang fashionista. I couldn't sense any danger coming from her.

Dala ang tray ng inumin, bumalik ako sa sala. As much as I wasn't a fan of trespassing, I still have my manners to serve her something to drink. I didn't know what she liked so I brought options for her.

Inilapag ko ang tray sa glass table. Naupo naman ako sa kanyang harap. Malaki ang pagitan naming dalawa.

"Oh, I didn't know Gotham was already accepting a stay-in maid. That's good. So, when we move in I don't need to worry about who's helping me." The woman blabbered. "Where's Gotham, by the way?"

Kumunot ang noo ko sa kanyang komento. I wasn't liking the tone. I was getting agitated with the vibe.

"I'm not a maid," I stated firmly.

Tumaas ang kilay niya at nagsalin ng red wine.

"You're not?"

Tumango ako. "In fact, I'm Gotham's wife."

Tiningnan niya ako mula ulo hanggang paa. Her stare says everything about what she thinks.

It was certainly full of insults.

"How come?" she asked. "Are you dreaming? It's totally free."

Ngumiti naman ako. "I don't need to explain anything to anyone, not even to you. It's just a fact I would like you to know." Hindi ko hinayaang sirain ng mapanlait niyang tingin ang composure ko.

She wasn't a visitor. Inimbita niya ang sarili niyang pumasok. Hindi ko siya hahayaang insultuhin ako sa sarili kong pamamahay. This is my husband's property, I don't mean to own it, but I have more legality here.

"Look, miss. My husband's not here. He's out of the country---"

"Banging another woman? So typical of him." She smirked.

"And you're desperate. Is that so typical of you?" I raised a brow. I was able to see a violent reaction from that smirking face earlier. "As I was saying, he's not here yet. Kung gusto mong tumahol, sa kanya ka tumahol. 'Wag sa akin. I'm not a part of your dispute."

Itinaas niya ang wine glass sa ere at ngumisi.

"I didn't know what he sees in you," she commented. "You look so cheap. Well, cheap items are in demand these days. Maybe, I shouldn't have been that surprised."

I knew her tactic was to get on my nerves, and yeah, it was getting effective. Nangangati ang aking kamay na supalpalin at kuyumusin ang kanyang bibig. I wasn't trained with word banters to hurt anyone, my fists could shut them up.

"Are you curious about that?" I mimicked her expression. "That's an easy question to answer... what he sees in me is violence personified. Do you want to know a secret? We met in a much bizarre way. I carnapped his car, sold its parts... threatened to kill him. Your choice of words won't help you if I decided to cut your throat and drink your blood."

She stood. Her calm demeanor just burst. "Are you threatening me?"

"Depends if you're threatened. So, am I threatening you?" Tumayo rin ako.