Chapter six

Prince Bael led me to my chambers. I remember the day I arrived at my father's mansion. I had no words. I have never experienced such luxury before. When I entered the grounds of the Red Palace for the first time, I was also captivated. But this was a completely different level of fascination.

The king definitely kept the best for himself.

While the rest of the palace seemed cold and eerie, my rooms welcomed me in a warm embrace. Gold and marble glistened in the candlelight. The walls were decorated with beautiful tapestries. Huge windows let in the moonlight. There were flowers everywhere. Flowers of all shapes and colors. Their scent wafted through the air.

I couldn't suppress a smile at the thought that it was all mine now.

"Don't smile like that or I'll think you like it here," Bael smirked.

I hid my smile. I put on a serious face.

"They're definitely fine," I said.

"Cassius wanted you to get the best," Bael said. "Enjoy the few days of freedom you have left. Upon your return, my brother will introduce you to his inner court."

"The inner court?" I wondered.

"It's a group of vampires that my brother trusts or at least revels in torturing," Bael replied.

"I will definitely be the second case," I said to myself.

I sat in my chambers. Through the slits in the heavy curtains I looked at the world bathed in daylight. A ray of light penetrated inside. I circled my fingers carefully around it. I was gently touching it, not dipping my hand into it.

Knocking was heard from the doors. I got scared.

"Come in!" I shouted after a moment's hesitation.

The door opened and Alexei entered. He was dressed in his ornate royal guard uniform. His face was filled with worry.

"Alexei!" I jumped into his arms. I hugged him tightly.

Alexei returned the hug.

"What are you doing here, Dragomira?" he asked me. "Does it have anything to do with why the king asked about you?"

I withdrew from him. I had sadness on my face.

"The king called me to the court to become his wife," I answered his question.

Alexei froze in shock. His mouth was open, but no words came out. "Did the king propose to you?" he said finally.

I nodded. "It was more like an order," I said.

"And do you want it?" Alexei asked me. "Do you want to be queen?"

"No," I answered truthfully. "You know very well what he is. He's a monster, Alexei. I can't marry him, but I have no choice."

"He can't keep you here by force, Dragomira," said Alexei.

"He is the king. He can do whatever he wants," I objected.

"I won't let him force you to do that. I'll take you out of here."

"If you try he'll kill you."

"I am your brother Dragomira, I cannot allow him to abuse you like this."

"Just because you're my brother I can't let you die because of me. He is your king and you are a member of the royal guard. You must be loyal to him."

"You are my sister. I will always be loyal to you," said Alexei forcefully.

"As your sister and future queen, I command you not to act," I told him. "If I want to, I can run away without your help. I will not risk your life for this."

"You already have a plan, don't you, sister?" he could see it in my eyes.

"It's better if you don't know," I replied.