Chapter twenty one

I walked through the corridors of the palace. After our last conversation, Cassius called off the guards who had been guarding me constantly. He must have gotten the feeling that I wasn't going to try to run away. Nor is it. I'll kill him. It's the only way to free myself and protect my family.

I walked around the lounge where Lady Brenna was sitting. She was constantly surrounded by courtiers as if she were a queen. Everyone wanted to be close to her. I preferred to avoid her. Every time I saw her, I wanted to throw her in the sun. It would be fun to watch her burn. As her flesh gradually blackens until it finally bursts into flames and crumbles into dust.

I realize that Cassius is not the only one who has his own demons. I don't judge him for them either. He is a threat to me and my family and that is the only reason I have to get rid of him.

I just wanted to pass by inconspicuously, but when I heard my name, I stopped and listened.

"I don't understand what the king sees in her," said Lady Brenna.

"She is brave," said Lord Broderick, the king's adviser. "His Majesty hasn't been challenged like this in a long time, and he likes it."

"I heard he's already managed to break her," Lady Brenna said mockingly.

"Absolutely not." Broderick countered. "Even her submission is a sign of defiance."

"I heard she tried to kill the king," Lord Maven remarked.

"Several times," confirmed Lord Broderick.

"King Cassius must have gone mad when he brought her here," said Lady Brenna. "He should get rid of her quickly. It used to be more fun with him before."

"Jealous, Lady Brenna?" Lord Broderick smirked.

"Never," she snapped. "He will eventually get tired of her and come back to me. After all, I am the king's favorite."

"Apparently you are no longer his favorite, Lady Brenna." I came out of my hiding place.

Lord Broderick laughed lightly. A mischievous smile graced his lips. Everyone present was obviously looking forward to the show.

"You are not his first toy, Miss Dragomira. But remember the king loses interest very quickly and you will be no different." her lips curled into a wicked smile.

"And yet I'm the one he's going to make queen." I returned her wicked smile. "He will put the crown on my head and not yours."

"A crown will not save you from his wrath, Miss Dragomira." a spark of anger flashed in her eye. "King Cassius is capricious and moody. How long do you think you can last?"

"Rather how long Cassius can last with me."

Her face betrayed anger when I used that confidential addressment. It was an addressment that only I and his brother were allowed.

"He seems to like it when I try to kill him."

The ladies and gentlemen present obviously enjoyed my audacity. And it was driving Lady Brenna insane.

"I've heard that your audacity has its limits too." she alluded to how he had my brother flogged for me.

Even though Cassius was torturing me in private, even though he didn't want to humiliate me in front of the whole court, there was talk. It was talked about among the guards and it got to the courtiers as well.

"We can find out who His Majesty prefers," I said. "His forgotten favorite who hasn't yet realized her time is up or his betrothed."

I approached the window with small steps. I walked proudly with my head held high. In arrogance, I could match Lady Brenna, who was disappointed in her expectations that she would one day become queen. I didn't take my eyes off her. We stared at each other. The others held their breath.