Chapter ten

My maid prepared me to dine with the king. She combed my hair. She entwined gems in them. She brought some vivid color to my face. I dressed in white. A single black pearl from my mother adorned my neck. I no longer had a reason to hide it.

I stood in front of the mirror. I looked at my own reflection and convinced myself that everything was going to be okay. I didn't believe those words at all.

"Are you okay?" Alexei asked me.

"Of course," I replied incredulously. "We'll see after dinner."

"Don't provoke the king, Dragomira," he warned me.

"I promise nothing," I said with a mischievous smile.

"Dragomira." he gave me a worried look.

"I'll try not to die there," I promised him.

Alexei rolled his eyes. He offered me his arm. He was to take me to the king's private chambers. I warmly accepted my brother's hand, ready to face the cruel king.

Alexei let me go in front of the heavy, double doors made of beautifully carved wood.

"Be nice, Dragomira," he told me.

"If he will exceptionally be too," I replied with a mischievous glint in my eyes.

"Be nice," he repeated and left me there.

I took a deep breath, exhaled. I repeated it again and again. I hesitantly took the handle in my hand. I hesitated. The door has been opened. I went inside. I pressed myself against the door. It was still daytime and sunlight was streaming in through the windows. It's been years since I last saw a room immersed in daylight. I saw the king standing in the light. The dying sun illuminated his handsome features. He looked even more otherworldly in the daylight.

"Are you afraid of the light, Dragomira?" he asked me.

"Already during my transformation, I learned the hard way to be afraid of light," I answered.

King Cassius approached the window and shot it with heavy curtains. The room was plunged into darkness broken only by the soft light of the candles. He approached me. He took my hand in his and kissed the back of my hand as a true gentleman. I bowed to him.

"Your Majesty."

"Dragomira Ivanovna." he returned my bow. "Today in white just for me."

"Only for you, Your Majesty," I said.

"Drop the formality, Dragomira," King Cassius told me. "Until now, you didn't mind addressing me confidentially. You can continue with it. You're the only one I'll allow it to, except my brother. After all, we're going to get married."

"However, I had no idea that you were a king," I replied.

"Does this fact change anything?" he asked me.

"It changes everything," I said.

"You probably wouldn't be so honest if you knew from the beginning. Most did not survive with their tongues cut like that. And certainly, no one who would try to kill me," said King Cassius.

"If I had known you were a king I wouldn't have tried to kill you, Cassius, but my honesty would have remained the same," I said his name with venom on my tongue. "I stand by what I said."

"I wouldn't expect anything else. But you really wouldn't try to kill me?" he asked. "You drew a dagger on me. Twice already."

"I know my place," I said.

King Cassius looked at me inquisitively for a moment. He measured me with his eyes. He had an unreadable expression on his face. At that, he suddenly smiled and offered me his shoulder.