Chapter nineteen

Despite my objections and his not-yet-fully-healed wounds, Alexei returned to duty. He said it is his honor and that we could not show the king that he could break us. And so, despite the pain, he held his head up proudly.

It wasn't so easy for me to pretend that nothing happened. Especially when I still had the memory of it on my neck. I had to hide it under my collar. Not because I didn't want to show the court what Cassius was like, I would have gladly done it so everyone could see the monster I had to live with, but to protect myself. They might think I'm weak, and I can't afford that.

I slept peacefully in my bed. It was night. The vampires of the palace roamed somewhere in the depths of its darkness, so dreaming was safe. I was tossing and turning in bed. The wound from Cassius' teeth still hurt and I couldn't sleep because of it. Despite the thick darkness winding through the room and the silence that whispered lullabies.

I heard the door to my chambers open. Someone came in. I immediately recognized him by his steps. The bedroom door handle moved. Cassius entered. He radiated energy that filled the entire room. I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep. I didn't want to talk to him. I didn't even want to look at him. I was hoping that he would believe my pretense and just leave. My heart was pounding fast, but maybe he'll think it's just bad dreams.

I heard his steps as he approached the window. He pulled back the curtain. I carefully opened one eye and stared at him. He looked at the landscape hidden in the veil of night. He looked sad. He looked over his shoulder and his eyes fell on me. I immediately closed my eyes again. Hoped he hadn't noticed I was awake.

I heard his steps lead him to my bed. I felt his burning gaze on me. I felt him lay down next to me in bed. We were lying there next to each other. He was looking at me and I was trying to fake sleep. My breath was trembling.

With a gentle touch, Cassius brushed the hair away from my face. His fingers were shaking. He brushed the hair off my neck. He stared at the wound he left me with. He touched it carefully, not wanting to wake me.

"I'm sorry, Dragomira," a whisper escaped his lips.

At that moment I thought I was really dreaming. I couldn't believe that those words actually came from his mouth. He was drunk. I could smell it from him. However, even if those words were sincere, I could not forgive him. I felt a burning hatred for him that was eating me alive. I regretted that I didn't have the magic dagger right under my pillow and couldn't kill him right then and there. Its hideout was too far away for me to stand a chance.

I trembled near him, the memory of his cruelty still replaying in my mind. He threw a blanket over me to keep me warm. Although I wasn't shivering because I was cold and I think he knew that.

He remained lying there next to me as if he was waiting for me to wake up. I wanted him to leave, so I never opened my eyes. Gradually it lulled me into real sleep.

When I woke up in the morning, he was already gone. Like he would never be. The curtains were drawn again to prevent the sun from burning me. However, there was still a warm spot in the bed left after him. He has been there. It wasn't just a dream.