Chapter seven

Maybe a certain part of me still wanted to become a queen, maybe that dream was still alive in me, but I definitely did not want to be queen by the side of King Cassius. I didn't want to become his prisoner.

It's been a long time since I last walked the corridors of the Red Palace, but I still remembered how to sneak through it. The guards were good, but I was better.

It was a night of fires. Great celebrations were held in the city and in the palace.

"Will you keep me company tonight, Dragomira?" Bael asked me.

"I think I'd rather spend today's celebrations in my chambers," I said.

"Are you still worried about the engagement?" he saw my worries.

It's been six days. Fortunately for me, the king had not yet returned from his travels. If he was in the palace, escape would be impossible.

"I just have no idea what the king is up to," I said.

"That's something nobody knows. The celebration will cheer you up," Bael said, trying to pull me out of the shadows of my chambers.

"I'm afraid that today I would just spoil everyone's mood." I refused.

My words pushed him away. He left me alone in my chambers and went off to have fun.

The royal guards were too scattered to guard me. The absence of the king was obvious. The guards were more relaxed and inattentive. They were celebrating. They drank. They made it all too easy for me.

This time the ball was held in the courtyard. Silver candlesticks and lit fires illuminated the thick darkness of the night. The music wafted through the wide surroundings. Lords and ladies danced to her sweet tune. They had fun and drank.

I threw the hood of my cloak over my head and crept out of the palace. I walked through corridors where the guards did not stand in their places. I avoided exuberant celebrations. From behind, I saw figures flickering in the light of the fires. I walked through the gardens shrouded in the veil of night. There was a small wrought-iron gate overgrown with climbing roses. It was already old and rusty. As I opened it, it creaked loudly. I cursed the sound.

I looked around to see if anyone had heard it. Fortunately, the distant sounds of music and shouts of joy seemed to drown it out.

I headed to the city. Cheerful music was already being heard from afar. The bright glow of the fires turned night into day.

I walked through the crowded streets of Kilig. People were pushing each other. There wasn't even room to breathe. I had to cut my way through.

At one point, someone grabbed me and pulled me into the dance. We jumped into the rhythm of the cheerful melody. The young man I was dancing with spun me around and pulled me back to his chest. Another turn and that's when I was swapped with another man. This is how I replaced several dance partners. I had fun and completely forgot about the time.

Even though people were suffering, everyone had fun together tonight. Nothing could rob them of this piece of happiness. Not even Fate itself.

Even if I wanted to stay entertained, I didn't have time. I had to find a place where I could spend the day before the dawn caught up with me. I couldn't go to my father, it would put him in danger if they found me there, and it's too far to the nearest town for me to make it.

I saw some soldiers keeping an eye on the peace in the streets of Kilig. I had to hide from them. They would recognize me and know that this is not where I should be. Most people wore masks on their faces, so I stole a girl's mask right off her face. "Hey!" she called after me, but it was too late. I got lost in the crowd of celebrating people.