Chapter twenty eight

Bael brought me back to the tomb. There was not the slightest problem with the guards. Balmore had them on his side. At least the ones from the day watch.

Without a word, we passed through those silent corridors lined with the dead. Balmore was already waiting for us in the main chamber of the tomb, where the last king and queen rested forever.

"Finally," he said. "I've been waiting forever."

"I had to wait for the changing of the guards," Bael said. "Alexei was on guard and he doesn't really like me."

"He thinks you have a bad influence on me," I said. "Alexei doesn't like anyone who is too close to me. But he liked you the least of all."

"He's too protective of you, Dragomira," Bael said.

"He has taken a liking to Cassius," I remarked.

"And you? Do you like him?" Bael wondered.

"We're officially at war," I replied.

"How did this happen?" he did not understand. "It's getting worse between you two every day."

"I'd rather wonder why the king isn't dead yet," Balmore said irritably.

"If you haven't noticed, the king and I don't exactly have a friendly relationship," I said in the same tone.

"He let you wear his crown," Balmore remarked.

"Cassius does a lot of things and they don't mean he likes me," I said.

"He used that crown to show who she belong to," said Bael. "He's possessive."

"However, it has been going on for too long. She had enough chances to kill him," Bael said.

"It took you forever to get close to him and you were still forced to ask for my help," I retorted.

"You had the perfect opportunity to kill him on your wedding night."

"He didn't stay with me for the night."

"He was drinking with me the whole time," Bael said. "He got pretty drunk that night."

"Did he say something about me?" I asked.

"Only that he's losing his mind because of you," he replied.

I had to smile at the idea. It was an interesting realization that Cassius was losing his sanity because of me. I thought he was the only one depriving me of my sanity.

"I think it's in both of our best interests that the king dies as soon as possible," Balmore said.

"Cassius will die on my terms," I said. "He is mistrustful. I have to earn my way to him."

"Just be nice," Bael suggested.

"Cassius is no fool. He would never believe it." I objected. "I would lose to him in a direct fight, so I have to surprise him. And for that, I need to win his trust.''

"How is it possible that you walk in the sun?" Balmore wondered.

"Wedding gift," I replied with a mischievous smile on my lips.

"How did he do it?"

"I am the queen. I don't have to answer these questions for you. Actually, none." I said and left.