Chapter seventeen

I could have expected that moment with Cassius at the tournament was just a fleeting moment.

As if it was a challenge for him that he was trying to fulfill. To prove that he is the monster everyone thinks he is.

And maybe Bael was right and it was his nature.

I didn't want to lose hope in him, but he didn't give me a choice. Like never before.

I too had my dark moments, which seemed like he had all his life. Alexei was my light in the darkness and I wanted to be Cassius', but he was pushing me away. Any hint of light in the darkness was instantly extinguished.

I wanted to believe in him, but he made it impossible.

Bael snuck into my chambers. Cassius was certainly unaware of his presence. He was sneaking around suspiciously.

"What do you want here?" I asked him.

"See you," he replied.

"Then why did you sneak in?" I stared at him in disbelief.

"Cassius forbade me to come near you," he said. "Only if you're not in his presence."

"Why only in his presence?" I wondered.

"Because then no one can get close to you if they don't want to lose hand, in a good case," said Bael.

"He can't do that," I said.

"He's a king, he can do anything," said Bael.

"Cassius is really resourceful when it comes to torture. He cut me off from my family. Now from you."

"There's no way he can keep me from you, Dragomira."

He gently brushed unruly strands of hair behind my ear. He looked deep into my eyes. He kissed me. The touch of his lips was careful. Uncertain. I don't remember him like that.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked him.

"What?" he didn't understand.

"Love someone else, and here was kissing me," I said.

"Why can't I love two women at once?" said Bael. "I care about you, Dragomira. I want you. I desire you."

"Don't lie to me, Bael. You are the king of manipulation. Unfortunately, I'm resistant to your tricks." I told him.

"What if I just want things to be like they used to be between us?" Bael said. "Just you and me."

"I will become your brother's wife. It will never be the same ever again."

I wasn't naive. He certainly had ulterior motives. I knew him too well to believe him. Apparently, he wants to involve me in the murder of his brother. However, Cassius doesn't trust anyone, least of all me. He knew that if I had the dagger, I would take the opportunity to break free.

"Don't be like him, Dragomira. Don't close yourself off from me," Bael said.

"I don't want to lose you, Bael," I said. "But Cassius wouldn't be thrilled to find you here."

"He divides us."

"I will talk to him. I will not allow him to divide us."

I kissed him. I don't even know why. I felt a trap in his kisses and still, I let myself be caught in it. Maybe I wanted to turn back time at least for a moment. I wanted to be the person I was when everything was simple. When I wasn't yet to become queen. When Cassius didn't plan to kill me and mess with my head. When I didn't know him at all.