Chapter thirty four

My steps were weak. The legs did not want to hold the weight of the body. My eyes were red from tears. I had the feeling that at any moment the waterfall of tears could start again, which I would not be able to stop. When I went down to the tomb, I had to lean against the wall so I wouldn't fall to the ground. I was holding a bloody bag in my hand. Blood was dripping from it. It was leaving a trail behind me.

They were all still in the tomb. They were waiting for my return. Only my brother was gone. I didn't know what they did with him.

I threw the bloody bag at their feet. A dead heart rolled out of it. I tried to put on a stone face, but I failed. Both Bael and Balmore smiled. The soldiers laughed triumphantly.

"I knew you could do it, Dragomira," Bael said, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

I shied away from his touch. I was disgusted by him.

"You could do it too if you weren't so bad at fighting," I retorted.

Bael laughed. "Unyielding to the last breath."

"Where is my brother?" I asked him.

"First give me back the dagger," said Balmore.

"It burned up with Cassius' body as soon as I killed him," I said.

"Dragomira." Bael's voice sounded a warning.

"My brother's life is at stake. Do you think I would play with you here?"

"Then whose heart is it?" he asked.

"Tell me where my brother is and I'll tell you whose heart it is," I smirked viciously.

I lost my sanity that night. He deprived me of everything. And I had to fight for even that little remainder. I lost Cassius and my family. I was left alone.

"What have you done, Dragomira? I know this look of yours."

"Tell me where my brother is and I'll tell you."

He hesitated for a moment but finally decided to answer. "We threw him into the well in front of the cathedral. Whose heart is this?'

"You know, dear Bael, Cassius has learned, unlike you, that threatening to kill my family has consequences," I said. "I was constantly thinking about how it is possible that you know about everything I do, you know my every move. I found out. That mortal woman you fell in love with. Anastasia, right?"

I could see in his eyes that I guessed right.

"She obviously didn't want to be one of us, so she grew old. No wonder Cassius didn't recognize her as my servant. You took something from me, so I took something from you," I said with a mischievous smile on my lips. "I made sure she was still alive when I carved her heart out of her chest so she could feel it as I held it in my hands."

"My mother!" cried Balmore, falling on his knees to her heart, which I threw at his feet.

"You're crazy," Bael told me.

"You already knew that a long time ago and you still provoked me into this state," I said. "I guess Cassius and I aren't all that different."

I turned to leave, but I turned to him one last time. "Enjoy your punishment knowing that she called your name as she was dying for you to come save her."

Balmore drew his sword on me. He blocked my way with it.

"You do realize you can't hurt me with that, right?" I gave him a wicked smile.

"You have my crown on your head," he said.

"How impudent," I said. "I think you should properly address me as Your Majesty, the Queen."