Chapter 13

- Jesse Hayes -

Ms. Walters was my Loctician as well as my godmother. It was the day before homecoming. I somehow got elected to the homecoming court. I'm not so sure how or why.

I was getting a retwist and then getting a special style done tomorrow. I was leaving school early and everything just to get ready. I didn't care that much but my mom sure did.

Ms. Walters or as I called her, Alexandria, was on the phone with my mom right now. They had known each other since childhood, so when Alexa and I were born it only made sense for us to follow the same path.

After my appointment Alexa and I were going to go visit Sora. He was discharged from the hospital. He's still on bed rest but healthy enough now to be visited by us. 

Before I was born my mom and dad moved in. Asahi was newish to the neighborhood and they all became friends. When me and Sora were born we became great friends. He was even my first kiss. He was my first real boyfriend but every single time we tried to work things out it failed. 

I appreciate Sora deeper than I could as a friend but not romantically. He's like a brother to me. A really hot brother. But I'm not on that Alabama shit.

Alexandria was retwisting the front now. I honestly want to go back to my natural color. This color reminded me too much of Tiana.

Wyatt approved and even volunteered to help out. "I might give you chemical burns and you might need a buzz but I'm happy to help." He was so excited just to hear about what I planned to do with my hair.

Things were great between us. I hadn't gotten around to telling him about Sora. It was gonna be one of those talks. 

But to be honest with myself I really was waiting on that question. I didn't want to be the one to ask him but it looked like I was going to have to grow some balls and man up. 

He also got elected to the Homecoming Court. It made sense for him at least. Not me. I was new here and most people only know me from Wyatt or the fight. Everybody still suspected we were dating and I was honestly scared because if Tiana heard it we'd all be fucked.

She still goes here but many days she's out. She doesn't ever talk to me at school but every now and then I'll find her brown eyes locked on me.

I went on my phone and watched TikTok. I scrolled for a little bit and then got uncomfortable so I readjusted. I shifted again and again. I hate getting my hair done. It's so uncomfortable.

Alexandria noticed and after this lock, she promised me, "After this one, we can go get some food,"She said.

"I'm supposed to get food with my ride after though, so we can just take a break," "I only have one last section to do so come on once you're finished," She said as she stepped out to have a drink.

My phone went off and I saw Wyatt's profile picture. It was a .5 that I had taken of Wyatt. I smiled at it. I traced my finger on the phone. 

"Hello,"I answered.

"I just had the best pizza ever," He told me. "I was even nice enough to save you a couple of slices,"He said.

"That's great, I'll eat some when you pick me up."

"Sounds, good, but anyways I wanted to check in  about when to pick you up," He asked

"Like," I paused. "I don't know, just be here in 20 minutes,"I told him. 

"Alright, I'll see you. I have a little something planned for you."

Before I could even ask he cut me off, "You'll see ma'am"