XXIV.

( ghosts of the past and a realization )

"Hello again," Damian spoke as he came across Milo in one of the halls.

Milo turned around and looked at the boy, he really hadn't expected him to come over and talk to him again, especially by how rudely Damian was sent away by Draco the other day. "Hello."

"Your friend, Malfoy, isn't really all that polite as some people in our house make him out to be," Damian stated as the two of them continued walking alongside each other to their next class.

Milo shrugged, "Draco's okay, if he sees you as someone worthy of him," He trailed off, realizing that maybe the words that would follow could offend Damian.

"And those worthy are only pure-bloods. Am I right?" Milo didn't dare respond to this question, because over the past year he had learnt that his views on the whole blood thing were, perhaps, a bit outdated and could hurt other people. "You can be honest with me. The people in our year are only pure-bloods, I'm the only half-blood. I'm used to people looking down on me because of my blood-status."

Milo bit his lip, now even more unsure if he should say something. Their conversation, which was only their second one, had evolved to a difficult topic. "That's sad to hear."

Damian scoffed, "As if you really care about that. You're also only a pure-blood that thinks everyone is beneath you, aren't you?"

"What?" Milo exclaimed, he wasn't expecting to be attacked so directly. "I admit, yes, I did think that but-"

Damian turned to Milo, still walking through the halls, "But what? Are you afraid of something?" He asked but then shrugged and continued talking as Milo was stuttering some nonsense. "I never understood that whole pure-blood thing, I mean what's so different about us? At the end of the day when we bleed, our blood's red."

Milo looked at Damian in bewilderment and hesitance, he just wanted to change topic, he didn't want to continue talking about things like these. The blond boy however mistook his silence for something else and began laughing, "What, do you want to tell me that your blood is actually golden? I mean, I would only believe you if I could see it, but that would be awesome."

Dumbfounded, Milo finally put together a comprehensive answer, "Can't we talk about something else? And no, my blood is red just like yours."

"But you have to admit it, having golden blood would be pretty cool. If pure-bloods had that, then I could maybe understand why you don't want to interact with us normal-blooded people."

Milo shook his head at that response, "Anyway, Christmas is soon, are you going to Hogsmeade this weekend?"

As Damian sat down at a table he looked up at Milo and smirked, "Are you asking me out on a date?"

There was a deathly silence between the two of them as Milo looked down at Damian and Damian smirked up at Milo, "Absolutely not, I'm more into smart people." With that he walked off to his own table, only hearing Damian's scoff as he left him behind.

"So, about Hogsmeade, I actually have to go there and buy a few Christmas presents for my family," Damian spoke up as he followed Milo out of their charms class. "But don't you have to go with your little followers?"

Milo looked over his shoulder to Damian, "What followers?"

"You know," Damian looked over to Draco Malfoy and his small club of Slytherins, "They've been staring me down ever since I spoke to you the other day. Maybe I should stop talking to you." There was a moment of silence as Damian seemed to contemplate, then he continued talking, "Nah, I think I can deal with this."