Chapter 1

Gotham City | 9:04 AM

(y/n POV)

It's another typical gray morning in Gotham. Little droplets of water fall from the overcast sky onto the rooftops, creating a symphony of splashing accompanied by the gentle humming of distant car horns and engines echoing through the busy streets far below. The sun is entirely hidden behind the dark screen of clouds, so the city is still relatively gloomy regardless of the fact that it's 9 in the morning.

y/n: Weather sure is shitty as always.

I turn away from the thick glass windows of Bruce's penthouse to face him.

y/n: So, what did you need me for?

He doesn't answer right away, swirling the liquid in his glass around for a few moments longer before he places it down onto the small table beside him.

Bruce: Crime's been on the rise recently. I'm sure you're aware of that.

I nod in response as Bruce gets up from his armchair and continues.

Bruce: I've been following your activities recently and from what I can tell, your skills have been improving dramatically. You have so much potential as a hero, y/n... But you don't have enough experience yet. You're just too naïve and susceptible to trickery.

y/n: Bruce, I don't need you to babysit me anymore. Let me protect Gotham. I can handle it.

Bruce: No, you're wasted on Gotham. And it's too dangerous for now.

I sigh, having heard this "Gotham is too dangerous" mantra about a thousand times now.

y/n: Why don't you trust me? I thought I've already proven to you that I'm not helpless.

Bruce: It's not that I don't trust your ability.

y/n: Then what is it?

Bruce: You've only gotten more powerful since... back then. If someone with as much power as you were to be corrupted again, there's not much anybody could do to stop you. You're a weapon. I know it sounds unlikely now but believe me, anyone can fall. Especially someone with your past.

There's a brief silence in the room as the muffled splashing of raindrops hitting glass panels echoes around the walls.

y/n: Bruce, I'm not the same person I used to be. I've changed for the better.

Bruce: As much as I'd like to believe you, emotions are more powerful than rationality. You have feelings you don't understand stored away in your subconscious. I can't risk the lives of millions on one bad day.

y/n: So I'm supposed to sit around and do nothing?

Bruce: No, you need to strengthen your mind. To train your judgment until it's absolute. You've already proven to me that you can change, now you just have to make sure you stay like this.

He slowly walks towards a window and looks up at the sky, hands clasped behind his back. There's a long pause in the conversation as I wait for Bruce to say something.

Bruce: You leave Gotham tomorrow.

y/n: What? You're joking.

Bruce turns around to face me as he crosses his arms.

Bruce: You're going to Jump City. There's a whole bunch of criminals on the loose around there so that should keep you busy.

y/n: Are you mocking me? What's the point of sending me to deal with a couple of two-bit crooks? I'm not here to stop shoplifters, Bruce.

Bruce: Look kid, I'm not doubting your strength... But you need to train your judgment in a place where the stakes are lower. One screw up in Gotham and it's all over. Just consider it practice for the real thing.