Chapter 5.5 | Movie Night

Titans Tower | 8:42 PM

(y/n POV)

There's a loud clang as I re-rack the bar and sit up, exhaling deeply. I pensively look up at the ceiling and grab my water bottle to take a swig, thinking about the past week that I'd been living at the Titans Tower.

Cyborg: On the grind, bro?

I glance over at him and grin slightly.

y/n: I guess. I've sort of been slacking off lately, though.

Cyborg: I wouldn't call a 15-ton bench slacking off.

He gives the plates a pat and laughs while I take another sip of water.

y/n: You need something, Cy?

Cyborg: It's movie night. It wouldn't be right to start without you.

y/n: Would you really feel comfortable with me there? I mean, I'm still pretty much an outsider, nah?

Cyborg: Hey, come on, man. You're one of us now.

There's a brief pause in the conversation, with the only audible sound being the rattling of the air conditioning system in the ceiling above.

y/n: Alright... I'll be there in a bit, then.

Cyborg: Sweet, you're in luck. I'm ordering tonight so you know it's gonna be fire. Last time, Robin made us one of his "super salads"... Even Gar wouldn't touch that shit.

I put away the plates and laugh, grabbing my towel and heading into the elevator.

y/n: I can imagine.

I quickly take a shower and put on a warm sweater that I'd gotten as a gift from Diana recently. She'd claimed that she was keeping up with modern trends by buying me fashionable clothing. For context, the hoodie says "eat, sleep, game, repeat" on it. She means well.

I make my way into the main common room of the building some 10 minutes later, slipping my phone into my pouch as I walk towards the couch and slump down next to Raven.

Beast Boy: Yo, y/n! Food's almost here. I can already smell it.

Starfire: Ooh... Your clothing is the most stylish, y/n.

y/n: I know, right?

Raven: Heh. You look like such a dork.

There's no movie on yet, but Raven is already wrapped tightly in a purple cartoon ghost-patterned blanket with a massive tub of popcorn beside her. She's not even bothering to use her hands to eat. Like a paralyzed bug in a chrysalis. What a pitiful sight.

y/n: Yeah, yeah. I'm so offended.

I condescendingly pat her on the head and she blushes a faint pink, still chewing on the popcorn in her mouth.

Robin: You got any movie suggestions, y/n?

y/n: Uh... I don't know any movies, really.

Suddenly, Cyborg pops out from behind the couch, holding a large stack of pizza boxes.

Cyborg: Pizza time.

Beast Boy: Oh, mama!

Starfire: Have you not watched any of the movies, y/n?

y/n: Not really, no.

She gives me a saddened look.

Starfire: Oh, then you must watch them with us!

Beast Boy snatches up the remote from beside Robin using one hand with a slice of pizza in the other, speaking through mouthfuls of cheese.

Beast Boy (while chewing): Well hen, y/n, allow me ho presenh ho you: he greatest movie of all hime.

He presses a couple buttons and selects a film called "Shrek".

Raven groans in dismay as Cyborg collapses on the couch next to Beast Boy.

Raven: Not this again!

Cyborg: Watch how you speak, heathen!

1:31 AM

The common room is dark except for the dim light emitted by the TV and from the moon glimmering in the crystal-clear night sky.

After hours of various animated movies, TV shows, and heartwarming laughter, everyone seems to have run out of steam. Beast Boy and Cyborg have pretty much passed out in an odd, tangled configuration of limbs, still murmuring about the memes they'd been sending each other about half-an-hour ago.

Robin and Starfire are also fast asleep in the middle of the couch, cuddling sweetly like a married couple. How wholesome.

Raven, on the other hand is still awake, admittedly struggling to keep her eyes open. She's still loosely wrapped in her blanket while I'm peacefully watching the "no signal" popup on the TV bounce around the screen, patiently waiting for it to hit a corner perfectly.

Raven: Mm... Why are you still awake?

She rubs her eyes tiredly and turns towards me as the faint glow of the TV screen casts a dim highlight on her left cheek.

y/n: Because I'm feeling weird.

Raven: Drink some water if you're nauseous...

y/n: No like, I'm not worried about anything, and... I feel like smiling a lot. It feels funny.

Raven: Oh, that's nice...

Raven cutely yawns and mumbles incomprehensibly as she wipes a teardrop from her eye.

y/n: ...It is.

She inches closer to me, still practically asleep at this point.

Raven: y/n... Let me borrow your shoulder real quick...

I wrap the ghost blanket around her as she finally falls asleep, gently leaning onto my side enough that I can feel her frame rising and falling slowly with each breath.

I sigh and rest my head on the couch as I stare up at the dark ceiling with an odd sense of satisfaction.

You know what? ...This isn't too bad.