Chapter 10

Titans Tower | 7:23 AM

(y/n POV)

I can hear water splashing beneath my feet with each step I take, running from something that I can't see. The lights of the cars fade from my view as I turn down an alleyway, the rain still beating down on me. It's pitch black in here; just another dead end. I anxiously whip around to see a shadow approaching me through the haze of falling raindrops.

y/n: What do you want from me?

???: ...I want you to come back to me, y/n. Oh, you were such a useful tool, you have no idea.

y/n: I'm not your tool.

I slump down against the brick wall of the alley, breathing shakily as I feel the figure come closer.

???: You've changed. You've been... corrupted... tricked. But I can fix you. You know this isn't who you truly are, y/n.

y/n: No, you tricked me.

The figure cackles loudly, looking up towards the sky as it does.

???: Me? Oh, no, no, no. I just showed you what you were born to do. Someone like you shouldn't be standing next to these... phonies. And the truth is, you'll never be like them, even if you'd like to be. So let me help you fulfill your true purpose.

y/n: You... You can't tell me what my purpose is...

???: I think you're misunderstanding. You are my final act. My... magnum opus.

I shrink away from the faceless thing and close my eyes as it continues to come closer.

???: Am I scaring you, y/n? Oh, that won't do. I've always thought that everybody ought to smile more, don't you agree?

My eyes flutter open and I wince as his twisted face finally comes into view, grinning evilly from ear to ear. Raindrops roll down his cheeks before dripping off his face and landing on the pavement with the sound of a splash that echoes faintly around the dark alleyway.

The grin slowly fades from his visage, his face becoming totally emotionless as he crouches down to my level and brushes the hair from my eyes.

???: ...Why so serious?

My alarm sounds and I bolt up in bed, drenched in cold sweat. I rub my forehead in an attempt to ease the throbbing headache that's beating relentlessly into my cranium, although it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I place my hand on top of the digital clock to stop the ringing and sit upright in bed for a while.

y/n: Ugh, Not again...

I slowly stand up and open the blinds, holding my hand up to shield my eyes from the sunlight beaming down into my room. I take a deep breath, deciding that forgetting about my nightmares is the best course of action in order to not have a shitty day.

Quickly, I take a shower and get dressed before taking the elevator to the living room floor and heading into the kitchen where Beast Boy, Robin, Raven and Starfire are already eating breakfast.

Robin: Morning, y/n.

y/n: 'Sup.

I grab a banana from the fruit basket and bite into it, leaning back against the kitchen counter.

y/n: What kind of cereal is that, Gar?

Beast Boy: All of 'em.

He doesn't even look up from the table, immersed in the maze on the back of a cereal box.