Chapter 8

Palace of Tamaran | ?:??

(Raven POV)

Raven: So... why are we in this thing's room again?

I wrinkle my face in disgust as I lift up a weirdly squishy whatever-the-hell-it-is coated in green slime before quickly tossing it away into a corner.

y/n: Why do you think? We're looking for clues, Scoob!

I roll my eyes at his sarcastic Shaggy impression.

Raven: I really don't like how you're almost as sarcastic as me. Stop it.

y/n: It's not on purpose.

He sighs while opening a small case atop a cabinet. I can't see the contents from this side of the room, but whatever is inside it is emitting a bright, metallic glow.

Raven: What is it?

y/n: Rae, come over here.

I float over next to y/n and peek over his shoulder. Inside the case is what looks to be a golden brooch with a massive, blood-red jewel in the center of it. Whatever it is, it looks pretty valuable.

y/n: What do you think?

Raven: Looks like that one necklace from Titanic. I mean it's red but... same vibes.

y/n: Like, Titanic the ship?

Raven: No idiot, the movie... Wait, you've never seen it?

y/n: I'd literally never watched a movie until last Sunday... More importantly, what should we do with this-

Raven: Shh!

Suddenly, I hear voices approaching from the doorway. y/n notices and immediately closes the case just before I warp us to the ceiling for a better angle.

Blackfire: Yes, my plan was brilliant, wasn't it, Glgrdsklechhh?

Blackfire walks into the room with the Slime-lord himself, clearly discussing something confidential. The pair approach the cabinet y/n and I were just examining and come to a halt in front of it.

Blackfire: I give you my pesky little sister and you give me...

Blobfish Bob opens the case he's holding to reveal the gemstone from earlier.

Blackfire: The Jewel of Charta. With its powers enhancing my own, I can rule Tamaran with an iron first! No one will dare to challenge me!

Starfire's crazy, manipulative sister has a god-complex. Wow, nobody saw that coming.

I lean in a little closer and squint to get a better look at what she's doing with the jewel, just as I feel a blob of slime hit me squarely in the chest. I lose my balance and tumble to the floor with an unpleasant squelch, followed shortly by y/n who just barely manages to avoid landing on top of me.

Raven: Ew...

Blackfire walks up to the two of us with a grin on her face.

Blackfire: Good job, Glgrdsklechhh... You've discovered some spies.

y/n stands up and wipes himself off. I notice wisps of sparkling energy starting to emit from the air surrounding him so I quickly grab his shoulder to stop him before he attacks Blackfire.

Raven: y/n... It's not worth it.

y/n glances back at me for a moment with a confused look on his face as the particles of energy around him begin to fade.

y/n: ...

Before he can say anything, Blackfire suddenly slams her fist into y/n's stomach and slowly draws it back as he doubles over, wincing in pain. She pauses for a minute to admire her hand, which is surrounded in a bright red glow.