You ☆ What do you like?

The House of Lamentation was asleep... that was, if you exclude Leviathan raging at his game and Beelzebub raiding the fridge for a midnight snack. Gentle snores could be heard from the different rooms of the house. You stealthily—as quietly as you could—climbed the attic stairs. The tray of food in your hand shook slightly as you moved.

"Belphie?" You arrived in front of the attic door, quietly calling out to the seventh-born.

It had been a few days since your first visit to the attic. When you first met Belphegor, he lied about what he really was. He had said he was a human and that the evil demon Lucifer had locked him up. You believed him, of course, finding yourself pitying him. There were doubts but all of them disappeared as quickly as they came. Instead, they were replaced by the surge of relief at meeting a normal human in the Devildom and hatred for Lucifer locking him up.

Even with all the obvious hints, you hadn't realized that Belphegor was the missing seventh-born for a while... or maybe you had but you just couldn't come to terms with it. You might not have known the truth if you hadn't seen his portrait in the hall.

After he admitted that he was Beelzebub's twin, you realized something... He was a demon, an actor... and a liar.

You hated, loathed, and absolutely despised liars. You didn't have good memories of them. They will lie again and again, wrapping you around their fingers, toying you with their lies, making you feel wronged and pathetic... again and again until they completely break you. But this was different... You just couldn't bring yourself to hate him even after his lie. Maybe it was because you pitied him. Yes, you were angry at first but you later persuaded yourself that you would have done the same if you were in his shoes. Who knew if the human student would free you if they were a demon? It was only a harmless lie... a white lie... and you also found out the truth very quickly, didn't you?

Also... his company was surprisingly comforting and enjoyable. Those little midnight visits always gave you so much joy and security. The time spent with him warmed your heart in a place where you could die anytime. Maybe he just felt the need to lie because he was locked up. Maybe he only lied because he was so desperate. Maybe... just maybe.

You spotted shuffling in the corner before Belphegor appeared in view, rubbing his eyes and trying to stifle a yawn. His cow print pillow was still clenched in his embrace as he ambled sleepily towards you.

"You're here..."

"Sorry for disturbing your sleep," you began. "I couldn't find a way to visit you during the day so I can only visit you when all your brothers are asleep."

"It's okay, I'm just happy you can visit. I sleep a lot during the day anyways."

You beamed at his words, glad that you weren't intruding much.

For some reason, the demon always seemed to be sleeping when you came to visit him... Was it because he was the Avatar of Sloth?

"I managed to grab you a little something before Beelzebub decided he was hungry again." You passed a custard through the bars of the door. "I thought maybe you would want something additional to the meals Lucifer brings you."

Belphegor's eyes widened as he accepted the custard. "You didn't need to bring me this..."

"Do you not like custard? Tell me what you like and I'll try to bring it next time."

"It really is okay, you don't need to bring anything for me."

"It's fine! Please let me do something for you. You've been trapped in there for so long, it must be so boring and lonely... At least allow me to bring you things to make your time a bit more enjoyable...! Even if it's only by a little."

"Oh..." Belphegor's lips curled into a smile, "If that's it then thank you."

You were glad that you could do a little thing for him. Just how long had he been stuck there? You couldn't imagine just how lonely and sad it must be. He probably was suffering silently while all his brothers (except for Lucifer) lived in ignorance of his whereabouts. Just how could an elder brother be so cruel...?

"Is there anything you'd like me to bring next time? Maybe your favourite food?" It would be nice to get to know him a bit more, maybe you guys could even become friends. "By the way, what exactly is your favourite food?"

"Sushi." His tone was nonchalant as he answered.

"Sushi?"

He nodded.

"Okay! I'll bring it for you next time!" You were glad that at least you learnt his favourite food. That was one step closer to becoming friends~

Hmmm... but other than sushi, you should also bring some more entertainment for him. Though, what would the Avatar of Sloth even like? Sleep...? Maybe you should bring some extra pillows and blankets? You could also borrow a game console from Leviathan to give to him. It was a pity that the allowance you got from Lucifer wasn't enough to buy anything other than some simple snacks. Maybe you should try and work a part-time job...

~

"Is that sushi?"

"Yep. I promised to bring it yesterday, didn't I?" You nodded gleefully. "I bought it with my own hard-earned Grimm so Lucifer doesn't get suspicious of my allowance spending~"

Belphegor looked doubtful at your words. "How would you have done that?"

"Easy." It was such a simple answer. How else would you have earned Grimm? By selling stolen art like Mammon? "I just worked part-time at Hell's Kitchen."

His hand was stunned still, his chopstick nearly getting dropped.

"Ops, careful!" You watched as the sushi narrowly escaped the fate of falling to the ground.

"Sorry? You? A human? With a part-time job? In the Devildom? And Hell's Kitchen no less?" He ran his hands along his bang, clearly in a state of disbelief and shock. "You're reckless, you know? Aren't you scared that the demons will think you are the food instead?"

"Well... Diavolo implanted a law that demons can't kill humans."

"Diavolo..." The moment you said the Demon Lord's name, his face morphed into a dark smile that sent shivers down your spine.

"Bel...phie...?" You tried carefully.

Just before you could further question him, his nonchalant face returned as quickly as it vanished. There was no grimace or any sign that showed his hatred. Did you imagine the way his expression darkened at the Demon Lord's name? If not... was he just acting unaffected? Maybe there was some bad blood between him and the Demon Lord.

"You... you should head back and get some sleep." His voice stayed light. "It's getting late."