You ☆ Fatigue and Games

You jolted awake, sweat was dripping down your cheeks as you tried to catch your breath. Your mind was a literal nightmare of a mess.

You couldn't remember what your dream was about but you could still feel it. It was scaringly vivid. The fear and emotions you had felt were something you could compare to the likes of being under the watchful eyes of a snake. The snake stared right at you with its slanted mauve eyes as if it was going to devour you at any moment. Its tail had slowly coiled up your body before wrapping itself around your neck. You remember trying to pull away but it stayed latched on to you, revealing its fangs, hissing. There was no escape from the predator, you were just another helpless prey under its poisonous gaze. You could hardly breathe at that moment. As adrenaline rushed through your body, your heart sped up unnaturally. Anxiety pulsed underneath your skin, consuming all your inside till you could not move.

You trembled. No... you never wanted to experience that again. Ever.

.

.

.

.

.

There was something dreading about going up the stairs that you couldn't quite put your finger on. Each step up made your body instinctively slow down, your sixth sense was screaming at you to turn back around. For a second, you had considered listening to it but an irresistible attraction pulled you back up again like a magnet. You could almost hear the gentle cooing of 'Yes, just like that, come on up~'

Finally, after a long journey up the attic staircase, you arrived in front of the familiar barred door.

Belphegor ambled towards you, a tilt of his lips showed ways to glee. "Welcome back, I missed you." His sweet voice drifted across the bars, sending chills down your spine. This greeting was one of his warmest yet.... So why did you feel so unnerved by it?

You licked your lips nervously—might as well finish what you were here for. "I borrowed a game switch from Levi since I thought you might be bored..."

"Did you?" He hummed thoughtfully. "Thank you, I appreciate it."

"Yeah, umm here–" You just need to get out of this place, your body felt sick but you didn't understand why. "Well, so, have fun. I'll be going so you can enjoy it." You swiftly handed the switch to Belphegor, ready to return to your room but his hand wrapped around your wrist before you could make your escape.

"What's wrong? You can tell me if something is bothering you. I'll try my best to help you." His eyes curved into crescents, glinting like jewels. You felt a tingle rush upwards and then... a sudden hit of realization like a crashing wave.

That's right. You could rely on Belphegor even if all the demons here were out to kill you. He was the only one you could trust here. Why did you forget just because you were feeling a bit uneasy today?

"It's nothing big, really. I just had the worst nightmare today, but for some reason, I can't remember what it was about. Now, I just feel very sick and uncomfortable which must be some kind of psychological side-effect," you told him. It was like you could spill everything about yourself at that very moment. It was hard to describe, but there was just something calming about his presence, the type of feeling that make you want him to know everything.

"Ah... then why don't you stay?" He sat down next to the door, his shoulder brushing the bars. "We can play with this together, you might feel better."

"How would that even work?" You managed a giggle despite how ill you felt. Copying him, you sat down and scooted as close as possible as the bars would allow you. It was such an awkward way to sit but it was going to have to do.