You ☆ Hoax Chaos [Part 2]

You

"Are you sure you're okay?"

His words were so soft and light, so soothing and gentle, laced with so much warmth and care. His mere presence made you want to spill everything.

The tears came again, making you feel like a horrible and pathetic mess. Why were you so weak? It wasn't even a big deal.

You wanted to go home. You wanted to return to the human world. You missed your friends and families. You didn't want to deal with this program anymore. You were tired. Tired of everything.

His hand curled around yours, the warmth spreading across your body. "What happened?"

The more he offered such comforting words, the more vulnerable you felt, the more the tears fell.

Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic.

There was a sigh. "Here."

The next moment you knew, a piece of chocolate cake was in your mouth, the rich sweetness melting on your tongue.

You blinked. Once. Twice. And then, you looked at him with widening eyes.

"So, what's wrong?" He asked again. His eyes glistened under the spell of the attic.

You found yourself spilling everything that happened in an instant before you could ever process what he said.

After you finished, you were met with his quiet laughter. He looked like he was about to say, "That's it?"

Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic.

Why couldn't you just control your tears? Why were you feeling like this over the smallest things?

However, instead of responding the way you thought he would, he just said, "It's alright. When I'm freed, we can make it together?"

It took a few moments for you to register what he said. You stared at him in a daze, surprised by his words, gripping his hands tighter. "Really? You promise?"

"Mhm."

A smile finally graced your lips, happiness and excitement melting away all the tears. Even as unease crept into you, you brushed it away, ignoring the way it told your instincts that this was all a giant hoax.

...It must be the chocolate.

Him

The way the human smiled made him chuckle internally.

Stupid little human. As gullible and naive as ever.

All the words he said, all the comfort he showed, everything he gave them, was all a hoax. A giant lie to manipulate them into freeing him. Humans had always been easy to play with. They were all just powerless marionettes on strings—save, except for some of those pesky sorcerers.

If not for how exhausting these games were, he would play them a lot more. It was fun messing with them and seeing their horrified expressions in the end.

He dug a piece of cake and fed it to the human.

Their eyes lit up with joy at the sugary treat.

"Thank you! You should eat some too; I brought it for you. I can't be the only one eating."

When he showed no sign of movement, they took it upon themselves to feed him, laughing with crescent eyes when he went to take a bite out of it. But just before he bit into the cake, he was met with a tiny plop to his nose. Their finger was dappled with frosting and their face was graced with a mischievous grin.

You

You didn't know how much time passed, but what you did know was that you were having fun.

The chocolate cake from Madame Scream's was shared between the two of you as you two chatted. The topic of interest mainly focused on his brothers. You told him about how they were doing, slipping in how annoyed they made you feel at times and what they were like with him gone.

He didn't seem surprised as he nodded nonchalantly with a blank face in deep thought. "That sounds like them."

Despite that being all he said, you couldn't help but feel that there was still something he still wanted to say, but wouldn't. Something was stopping him from saying anything else. You didn't push him any further though, not wanting to make him uncomfortable. He must have his own reasons.

Him

Time slipped by quickly and soon it was dawn. He could feel the world around him stirring, preparing to wake up and start a new day.

He watched the retreating figure of the human as they walked away. Their movements were tired. Sluggish. They looked as if they were going to fall anytime. It was rather concerning...

"Hey."

They stopped and looked back with a small tilt of their head. "Yes?"

"Don't can't here tomorrow. You should get some sleep."

"I'm fin–"

"No, you're not. Humans need sleep. You guys are fragile beings who will collapse if you don't get enough rest," he insisted.

"I'm really okay. I'm not that weak."

Why was this human so stubborn? Why couldn't they just see the problem here?

"You'll die if you continue this on. The last thing that anybody wants to deal with is a dead human."

"Oh um." They shifted around uneasily. "I..."

Maybe he should try another approach? A softer approach?

He lowered his voice to a more gentle tone. "Please? Please just get some sleep. I'm worried that one of these days you will collapse and if that happens I won't be able to help. And when I think of that... I...."

Belphegor could see their resolve softening.

Finally, they gave a tired smile and nodded. "Okay... I'm so sorry for worrying you." And with that, they headed down the attic stairs.