Him ☆ Confusion and Hatred

Belphegor found himself blankly staring at the clock as it ticked by.

One second, two second, three second, four–

The memory of the human's tears was still clear in his mind, refusing to leave him to rest. He shifted uncomfortably from where he sat on the bed.

Eight seconds, nine seconds, ten seconds... eleven, twelve, thirteen–

They just started to cry all of a sudden, shedding tears uncontrollably as he stood and watched. He didn't understand why. Did he do something wrong? Did he hurt them when he shut his hand over their mouth? He didn't know. He didn't even know what he should do when met with such a scene. He never thought about it until now. There had been no need to placate anyone in his life. He was always the one at the receiving end, never before had he been on the other side. There had also never been the need to deal with a human after he fell from grace. The only thought that ran through his mind whenever he heard the word 'human' was hatred. That burning sense of rage and loathing was what fueled his motivation to destroy humankind. They were stupid and pathetic creatures that couldn't do anything to save themself even on death's bed. It was insulting—really—that he had once been so fascinated by them. But now his vision wasn't covered anymore and he could finally see those creatures beyond the rose-tinted view he once had.

Still... that human exchange student.... They were strange.

Just what was the unpleasant feeling that stirred inside him when he saw their puffy red eyes and wet cheeks?

❁❁❁

His body tensed stiff. Did he cause this...?

Their eyes blinked closed as if desperately trying to dry out the show of vulnerability.

He opened his mouth to stop them, to shut them up, to tell them to go away and stop disturbing him, but he hesitated. Something in him wavered, his thoughts were in turmoil as he watched them. Even when his sin pushed him to leave this bothersome thing alone, he just couldn't. He didn't understand why he felt that way.

It was strange... but he could mull it over later. First, he should at least see if he was the one who caused such pain in the human.

He called their name gently, hoping to get their attention but their minds seemed to be stuck up in the clouds, not being able to hear him.

"Hey–" He tried again, a bit more forceful this time. "Why are you suddenly crying?"

Silence.

And more tears.

It was no use. They weren't responding. What the heck was up?!

But at least... it was probably not him who caused their tears. If it was, they would be a lot more alert in his presence. So this meant that someone else did this. At that thought, anger and panic jolted through him like an electrifying river.

He stilled.

Why? Was he really feeling scared for them... a human... one of the causes of Lilith's death? He must be going mad. Or maybe he wasn't. Maybe... yes.... It was definitely because he knew that this show of defenselessness was something he could manipulate and take advantage of. He smiled that fake gentle smile, switching on the facade of the amiable captive and pushing his unneeded emotions away.

"Good grief..." He let out a sigh before wiping the tears from their eyes and drying their cheeks. That was better, they looked so much lovelier when they weren't crying from the pain someone else brought them.

...

They looked at him, their eyes glistening so very beautifully. It seemed his gesture had finally captured their attention.

"Do you feel better now?" he asked, "You can tell what's going on, you know? I'm here for you."

His smile widened at the surprised look that crossed their face. Then the surprise vanished, replaced with a softened gaze and an unsaid thanks in their small upturned lips. He could see how much effect he had on the human. Their guards were lowered and they now saw him as an individual to rely on. That must be why they showed such weakness in front of him—they trusted him.

Haha! How funny. they'll soon regret that trust. He was looking forward to it... the horror on their face when that human realized that they had been betrayed. It would be such a delight to watch. But for now? He must further build on that tower so that when it crumbles, it will be even more satisfying. So now, it was time for a little magic~

❁❁❁

Fifty-six, fifty-seven, fifty-eight, fifty-nine...

The thud of footsteps. Heavy and steady unlike that of the human.

Sixty–

"Belphegor."

He scoffed. The lap dog was finally here. Lucifer's voice was still as arrogant sounding as he remembered.

"It would do you good if you stop trying to go against Lord Diavolo." The eldest started his daily lecture again as he unlocked the attic door. "...then I wouldn't need to keep you locked up here."

Belphegor chose to ignore him. It was no use arguing with him anyway. He tried before but had never gotten to him. A loyal dog would always be a loyal dog. Their eldest brother probably already moved on from Lilith. He doesn't even remember what the humans did to their sister. If he did, then he wouldn't support such a program so strongly... or maybe he didn't, but could brush it aside for his disgusting so-called devotion towards ~Lord Diavolo~

"I hope you realize your wrongdoings." Lucifer finally finished his monologue before placing the breakfast tray down and leaving, locking the attic door with magic as he did so. He was never going to forget, was he?

.

.

.

He hated Lucifer. He hated Diavolo. He hated mankind. He despised that human exchange student.