Chapter 17

Hanni's

Work has been hell, with mounting financial problems and the increasingly pushy buyout offers from my competition. But I can't bring myself to care about that right now. The moment of truth, the moment I've been hoping and praying and fretting over for so long has finally arrived. It's time to see if all my—no, our—efforts have paid off. And I can't stand waiting another second for my doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon.

After work and a trip to the drugstore, I text Minji, I bought a pregnancy test. I actually bought three, just to make sure.

She replies almost immediately. Don't take it yet. I'll be there in twenty minutes.

Since I've waited six weeks—or more accurately, my whole life—I decide I can wait another twenty minutes. It's sweet that Minji's almost as excited about this as I am.

I try to read a magazine, give up because I can't focus, and pace rapidly around my apartment until I hear her knock.

I open the door and gesture her inside. "Thanks for coming."

"Of course. I wouldn't miss it." She pulls me in for a brief hug, and instantly, I feel a little calmer. "Are you nervous?"

I chew on my lip and nod. "It should only take a few minutes until I know one way or the other."

"I'll be right here." She perches on a bar stool in the kitchen with an attentive expression.

I'm grateful for her presence, which seems to ground me. "Wish me luck." I press a kiss to her cheek and head toward the bathroom.

I reread the instructions for the fifth time just to make sure I don't mess this up. Okay ... pee in a cup, dip the test's tip for five seconds, remove it, wait three minutes. That's easy. I can totally do this.

After following the instructions, I set the test on the bathroom counter and remind myself to breathe. The seconds tick past at a glacial rate, but finally, something starts to happen. With maddening slowness, one pink line appears ... then two!

"Holy shit," I say out loud.

"What?" Minji calls, her voice muffled through the door.

She sure didn't stay sitting for long, but if she feels even half as keyed-up as I do, I can't blame her.

"Hold on." I rip open the other two boxes and use them too.

"Hey, what's going on in there? The suspense is killing me."

"Just one more minute." I can barely contain myself as I wait for the tests to turn out. Was the first result a mistake, a fluke?

But no ... the other two show double lines too. I fling open the bathroom door, spot Minji, and throw my arms around her neck in glee.

"I'm knocked up!"

Her face lights up. "Really? You're pregnant?"

I nod, grinning so hard my cheeks ache. "All three tests were positive." Then I squeal when she sweeps me into her arms with a sound of joy and twirls me around. We pepper each other with kisses, ecstatically bear-hugging, laughing in sheer excitement.

She sighs, looking into my eyes with tender pride. "We actually did it. How do you feel?"

"We did." I plant a firm kiss on her lips, tears brimming in my eyes. "And I feel ... incredible."

When my stomach ruins the moment with a gurgle, she chuckles. "What about hungry?"

I laugh. "I'm not eating for two yet."