2: Questions

Chapter 2: Questions

"Where is your house?" Lucy asked Snape out of the blue as they made it down the right path this time

"Where is your house?" Lucy asked Snape out of the blue as they made it down the right path this time. She was incredibly excited about her new adventure and couldn't resist asking this man the thoughts that plagued her head. After all, this was the most exciting thing that had ever happened to her, it was as if her life was finally beginning.

"Not far now," Snape responded in a low voice and the two walked in silence for a while. That was until Lucy flinched and the pavement cracked again. Snape looked down and steered Lucy away from the crack.

"Oops," she whispered.

"Never mind," he said and they continued on.

Lucy looked at the hand upon her shoulder and Snape withdrew it. She couldn't help but feel...elated. He was the first person who'd ever acted so dull towards her abilities, he ignored them even. She continued to stare up at him in admiration.

It drew her mind into thinking about the strange happenings that had occurred since she was seven. Whether it was making her hair grow five inches in a day or being able to summon food when on the brink of starvation. Or even receiving company from a stray cat when she wished for a friend most.

She thought that this made her special and that she was one of a kind. Besides, she didn't see any other children making food appear out of thin air. But now she felt even more special knowing that she was days away from being with other children like her and now she was in the presence of a Professor, practically a celebrity.

She'd been hoping for a silver lining for many years now and it had finally come, what a blessing it was.

Snape on the other hand was panicking. No one but he had lived in his house since his parents had died. For many years it had only been him and now he was letting a complete stranger in. The thought was unsettling and he nearly audibly groaned. But he kept reminding himself he couldn't not let a student go to Hogwarts when they needed to. So he soldiered on and tried to ignore the nagging feeling.

"Tell me something about yourself," Snape spoke up bravely, the silence would eat him up more than a little small talk.

"I'm not very interesting," she promised.

"How about you tell me where you'll go when your first year at Hogwarts ends?"

Lucy pouted, she hadn't realised that she'd have to leave Hogwarts after a year but the prospect that there was more than one year was exhilarating. "Can I not wait at Hogwarts for the second year to begin?"

"Unfortunately not."

"I'm sure I'll find somewhere then. Even if it's back outside, can't be too bad can it? Not with the idea of going back to school on the horizon."

"Yes," Snape muttered and thought to himself he'd have to talk to McGonagall about what exactly they'd do to help Lucy find somewhere to go.

Sympathy coursed through him. 'I'll take her in for this short while,' he thought to himself, the last shred of his humanity coming fourth. 'Then Minerva and I could help her find some real parents. Some who could actually care for her properly, I'm sure there are many wizarding parents who would take her in and teach her what she needs to know about wizarding life.'