3: Decisions

Chapter 3: Decisions

As soon as Snape had closed the door of Lucy's temporary room he walked down the stairs and entered the living room once again

As soon as Snape had closed the door of Lucy's temporary room he walked down the stairs and entered the living room once again. He sat down at the desk he had in the corner, pulled out a bit of fresh parchment, an ink pot and a quill. He dipped his quill in the ink pot and began scratching on the piece of paper:

Dear Cokeworth Orphanage,

I am writing to inform you about a girl who I have found on the streets, she is currently at my house and in my care. I am incapable of caring for her permanently and I believe it would be prudent of you to visit and find a suitable home for her.

Severus Snape.

Snape re-read the letter a few times, the words seemed all too wrong. But what exactly were you supposed to say about a homeless girl you'd found on the streets? He intended to send this letter as soon as he got to Hogwarts just so the orphanage could write back and tell them they'd found a home for her. He'd accio his mail to Hogwarts and be delighted they'd found somewhere for her. It was cruel for her to be shoved around like this but it was the only way. He was not fit to care for a child and had no intention of looking after one.

'But it is so cruel,' he thought to himself. He'd have to arrange something better when he got to Hogwarts. Minerva would help him, he knew. After a long time of Snape debating with himself, he simply screwed up the letter and threw it in the bin.

Snape returned his ink pot and quill to their rightful places before heading upstairs and entering his room, where a long sleep awaited him.

*

The cracking of the vase made little Lucy cringe. She'd only picked it up to have a look, she'd thought it was so pretty and just had to take a look. But as soon as she had picked it up ever so carefully it had cracked into a hundred pieces, some falling at her feet, others embbeding themselves into her hands.

Lucy braced herself as a stampede of footsteps coming from one individual raced down the stairs. Lucy cowered but did nothing to rid herself of the broken vase. She'd made these sorts of messes disappear before but she felt too frightened to move. She squeezed her eyes shut as she saw the figure enter the room. When she reopened them, Brian was standing over her.

"How dare you," he whispered in the most deadly tone.

"I'm sorry, daddy!" She wailed. She'd promised herself she'd never cry in situations like this again but now she couldn't help herself. The fear was always greater in real life than in the scenes she played out in her head.

"I am not your father! You call me — Brian!" He grabbed hold of the scruff of her neck before his final word and shook her. "DO YOU HEAR ME!"

"I'm sorry!" Was all she could get out before the force of his cold and unforgiving palm met with her face, the pain was excruciating. One that Lucy could still feel even in her dreams.

*

Lucy awoke with a start, she didn't realise it until after a minute but she was panting and there was sweat covering her forehead. Lucy glanced at the curtains and saw the light poking through them, she felt slightly relived that she wouldn't have to lay there awake until the light from the sun finally was visible. She could start her day and try her best to forget about her dream.

But her thoughts kept returning to it. She couldn't forget it, the memory was all too real and she couldn't stop herself from replaying it over and over in her mind.

Lucy heard the footsteps of Snape who was evidently about to begin his day too. She felt a sense of protection run through her as though she had nothing to fear anymore, she jumped out of bed and opened her temporary wardrobe. Pulled out a skirt, knee high socks and a jumper.

She slipped into her clothing quickly and noticed that they were a bit big for her, but then again she was thin. She walked downstairs to find Snape sitting in the armchair he had the previous day, but this time with a newspaper in his clutches. Lucy sat down opposite him and stared at the paper he was reading, the front covers title read: Ministry of Magic's Fudge says all is well.

Lucy looked at the picture of Fudge below the headline and saw a man with a bowler hat, to her he looked pretty old and proud of the location he was standing in, which Lucy guessed was the Ministry for Magic (whatever that was.) All of a sudden the headline changed and so did the picture, the headline now read: Victory for the Wasps, Defeat for the Cannons. There was a picture of a group of people dressed in yellow with what looked like broomsticks, in the article above it said something about Quidditch. Lucy rubbed her eyes making sure she was seeing okay, but the word seemed to stay the same.

Snape looked up from his paper and looked at Lucy who was still staring at the Wasps Quidditch team who looked rather overjoyed.

"Good Morning, Lucy." Snape announced, amused by her surprised expression at the paper

"Oh!" She said all of a sudden as though returning to reality. "Good morning, Professor!" She smiled

"I guess you would like to know why the pictures are moving on my paper?" Snape gestured to the front cover of the paper, which Lucy finally noticed was called 'The Daily Prophet', she nodded and Snape continued. "This is a paper from the Wizarding world and is supplied there, I get it sent by an owl. Just like the one who sent my letter yesterday, like I said muggle postboxes are too slow."

"Muggles?" Lucy frowned

"Non magic people - it's a wizards word for them, you have a lot to learn about the Wizarding world."

"Oh alright then," she whispered, Lucy looked to her right and saw the guitar she had accidently left down here last night, she hadn't meant to but maybe just out of tiredness she had forgot. And that reminded her of something, it was her birthday today, but she wouldn't dare tell Snape just out of politeness.

"So er, where exactly do I get my school supplies?" Lucy asked picking up her guitar

"A very special place which is hidden from the muggles, we can go there today if you like..." Snape paused "after all it is your birthday" he smirked, Lucy blushed slightly, he didn't want Snape to buy her anything because that would be plain rude to steal someone else's money. Taking a person in for a little while is enough, but buying them things is over the top! 

"B-But sir!" Lucy stuttured "I haven't any money! And I wouldn't expect you to buy me anything!" But Snape simply held up his hand, to silence her

"I will buy your things Lucy, it will not matter to me"

Lucy smiled, no one had never been this nice to her, ever. No one at all.

"Now, I suggest you eat your breakfast I have put on the table for you, after that grab your coat and a pair of shoes and we shall proceed to the place where we will get your school supplies.

"Yes sir!" Lucy said hopping off the chair and walking to the kitchen where a plate of toast and a glass of orange juice sat on the table. She ate the toast quickly and drunk the orange juice then she ran upstairs, grabbed a little black coat that was now hung in her wadrobe. Next she took a pair of converse style shoes and slipped them on then put on her coat and ran downstairs where Snape was waiting for her...