15: The real tale

Chapter 15: The real tale

As it was now too late to ask Snape for a note to enter the restricted section, Lucy and Shona headed straight to bed after they had returned their books back to the proper shelves in the library (like it mattered anyway)

Lucy waved goodbye to her friend then headed to the dungeons while Shona headed to the common room. As soon as she arrived at the dungeons she expected to just find her dad reading the prophet so she could simply go into her room and be left alone but this wasn't the case today. 

Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall and Binns stood there as well as her dad. They seemed to be having some sort of argument, but as soon as she entered they stopped.

They all looked at her. 

"Here's our witness" McGonagall snapped, she lead Lucy over then questions were drawn from the teachers mouth rather quickly, "Did Professor Binns teach you about knights in History of magic today?" 

She looked at all the adults, she had a bad feeling that she was being told off but answered anyway as she didn't want to get in any more trouble that she could be in, "Yes" 

"What did he say?" 

And so Lucy explained that days History lesson, from the orb right down to the tale of Merlin and Sebastian. When she had finished Dumbledore stepped in so Lucy wouldn't be interrogated by McGonagall. 

"And where have you just been, Miss Snape?" 

"The library" 

"Looking for what exactly?" 

Lucy's face turned guilty, "Information of the tale of the knights" she said in a whisper almost mute. She wanted to say that Snape suggested to but she couldn't have the man who had saved her from everything get in trouble because of her. 

"You see what you've done, Binns?" McGonagall hissed at Binns, "You've scared children and some are even looking up dangerous topics - and this is first years we're talking about! - Topics that even I wouldn't read!" 

"I didn't find anything, nor did Shona" Lucy added quickly. She didn't feel it was right that Binns should be told off for something he did unknowingly. 

"It must be all locked up in the restricted section" Snape said in his usual unwelcome deep voice, "So no harm has been done" 

"Severus is right" Dumbledore smiled, his eyes twinkling in the dim dungeon light.

"Why is the tale so dangerous?" Lucy asked out of the blue, making all the teachers jump. 

"It's a very gory tale. Also it's a myth. It makes people worry about nothing - as it's not real" McGonagall replied darkly as she seemed like the only one who wanted to speak.

"It seems real enough to me. Like dad said earlier; it could of been twisted" 

"Miss Snape, don't worry over a myth. There's no point. Don't believe it until you see it" 

And after that McGonagall, Dumbledore and Binns left. And Lucy's shoulders slumped. 

"No one can stop you to believe what you want to believe" Snape said from behind her, feeling it was best to give the girl who had never had choices an option. 

"I believe in it but I don't want it to be real" Lucy sighed as she turned around, "But I'll never know if it is because I couldn't find anything in the main part of the library and I don't suppose now you'll give me a note for the restricted section" 

"That's where you're wrong," Lucy gave him a confused look. "I am very willing to give you a note. I want you to find out about them as you want to do so. No matter how the gory the tale"