20: Mud-Blood

Chapter 20: Mud-Blood

"So what did you find?" Snape asked the next day to Lucy about her and Shona's research on the medevial islands as they headed down to the great hall for their last dinner there before the summer. 

"Nothing, nothing more than we already know," Lucy sighed as she straightened her tie. 

"That's a shame, but that's not really a topic that you need to focus on; your grades are more important." 

"Dad! It's the end of the school year!" Lucy laughed. 

"Yes, well, how about next year?" 

"When I become a second year, I'll think about it." She muttered as they walked into the great hall just as the feast was beggining, they both took their places and both tried to get the idea of the medeivial islands out of their heads but no matter how hard they tried that was the thing that distracted them and they almost missed who won the house cup. 

"Lucy! Gryffindor won the house cup!" Shona gasped prodding her friend in the shoulder. 

"I'm sorry?" Lucy said, snapping back to reality. 

"Gryffindor won!" Fred yelled. 

"Oh..." Lucy whispered as the students of Gryffindor cheered for their house, even Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff seemed happy about someone finally beating Slytherin even so, Slytherin would have won anyway because they got the most points but Dumbledore changed that for them. 

The school began to file out of the great hall and then go to their dormitories to collect all their things before heading home and enjoying their summer holidays. Lucy waved goodbye to a few people she knew outside of the great hall as she waited for Snape to emerge from the crowd. 

"Well, well, well if it isn't Lucy Snape," a voice said and even without looking she knew that whoever's voice it belonged to, they had a sneer plastered on their face. Lucy looked in front of her and saw a blond haired boy from Slytherin, he was accompanied by two other boys from Slytherin who cracked their knuckles threatengily. She knew these three boys from her classes but didn't know their names but definitely knew they were bullies.

"Yes..." Lucy muttered, wondering what the boy was going to say next to her. 

"I've been meaning to pick a bone with you since the start of the year but you always seemed to be locked away in daddy's dungeons from harm," the kid spat. "I bet you don't even know who I am." 

"No, I don't." 

"My name is Draco Malfoy, and this is Crabbe and that's Goyle — " Draco jerked his head at the two boys behind him who didn't say anything. "And for that matter we're pure blood." 

"You're what?" Lucy frowned, she had never heard of the phrase 'pure blood.' 

"Pure blood, don't you know what that is? Well, Professor Snape has obviously got to teach you a lot of things!" 

"Why don't you explain to me?" 

With one last disapproving look Draco began to explain the difference between pure-blood half-blood and muggle born and Lucy instantly knew that she fitted into the muggle born catergory... 

" — But we all know that I'm pure blood and you're...mud-blood..." Draco sneered but Lucy looked at him confused. 

"Mud-blood? I thought you said it was muggle born?" 

"I did, it's just a foul name to call you because after all, that's what you are." 

And with that Draco, Crabbe and Goyle walked off leaving Lucy to wonder what she had done wrong. Snape stepped out of the great hall to find Lucy wearing a very somber look, she looked up at him with tearful eyes.