8: The Sorting

Chapter Eight: The Sorting

McGonagall pushed open the grand doors to the Great Hall. They opened up to reveal four tables, one for each house, Lucy had to wonder which one she'd be sitting at after she was sorted. The kind Hufflepuffs? The thoughtful Ravenclaws? The brave Gryffindors? Or the so called mean Slytherins? It made Lucy wonder what house Snape belonged to —

Snape.

"It's not really the sky up there," Hermione gestured upwards as they began making their way to the front of the hall, McGonagall leading the procession. "It's an enchantment; I read about it in Hogwarts: A History."

These were the only words that kept Lucy grounded as she began panicking about Snape finding her again. Surely he'd be at the teachers table, he was Potions Master after all.

Lucy looked over at the teachers table as she walked and scanned it, looking for his black robes and sure enough he was there.

Snape was doing some searching of his own. His eyes passed over the group of first years and he quickly singled out the jet black hair of Harry Potter and nearly scoffed at the sight. He couldn't find Lucy amongst the throng of new students but he would soon enough when they called her name.

Finally, they made it to the front and McGonagall stepped up onto the raised platform with her scroll. "When I call your name, you will come up here and I will place the sorting hat on your head." McGonagall explained as she held onto the frayed and patched hat, it hovered over the stool the students were to sit upon.

Lucy had been so preoccupied with what house she was going to be sorted into and thoughts of Snape that she hadn't even considered how she was going to be sorted. Now she knew it was a nice surprise to know it wouldn't be anything frightening like performing magic she didn't even know yet in front of everyone.

"Susan Bones," McGonagall called the first name upon her list. A girl made her way to the front of the crowd, no doubt nervous to be first, and sat down on the stool. The hat on her head seemed to be muttering things to her before it called out decisively:

"Hufflepuff!"

The Hufflepuff table cheered as the first student of the year called, joined them.

The number of unsorted students began to dwindle around Lucy. She figured that the less people were around her the easier it was for Snape to spot her and hid behind Shona until she was called.

"Shona McGuire!" Came McGonagall's voice once again.

"Good luck," Lucy whispered to her companion and then cast her eyes down and covered her face with her hair and waited dismally.

'McGuire...I'm sure I knew her mother' Snape thought to himself as Shona made herself comfy on the stool. Snape knew this was just another one of the unfortunates he would be teaching so he was oblivious to the fact Shona was sorted into:

"Gryffindor!"

Shona cheered and made her way to the Gryffindor table; she'd got her first choice. She sat down next to Hermione and began chatting with her excitedly, no doubt Hermione had some facts to share about her house.

Snape had stopped himself from getting drunk, he decided it wasn't worth it and he was being stupid over a girl who couldn't possibly hurt him. She'd decided to run away, so what? It was one less job for Snape.