020

CHAPTER TWENTY
REALIZATION

𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸

THE NEXT MORNING LIAM AND CAMREN HAD BROUGHT FREYA TO THE DOCTOR TO GET HER ANKLE LOOKED AT.

By that point it was huge, purple and ugly. Freya still couldn't put any weight on the injury without nearly collapsing in pain. Camren and Liam had to carry her into the hospital, and much to her dismay she came out on fucking crutches.

She sat in the passenger side of Camren's car, a blank stare out the passenger window while the boys had been situating her crutches into the backseat with Liam. After fighting with Liam about the crutches, Camren eventually settled into the drivers seat and looked to Freya with sad eyes. "Did you wanna head back to ours? I can make you some food and we can just put on a movie until you fall asleep."

Freya hadn't gotten even a second of sleep the night prior. Her mind plagued with the sounds and images of the night before. Especially laying next to Liam, her mind kept twisting with the sights of his black eyes while he happily danced around over Camren's shoulder playing with his food. She couldn't help the sinking fear that at one point that could have been her and Eve. In these moments her brain had a hard time disconnecting the feral vampire that only had his mind on blood and the man that sat before her on the rocks sharing the most vulnerable parts of himself.

An internal battle was being fought inside her head at Camren's question. Part of her didn't want to be near the two right now, wanting some distance to separate what she had seen from who they actually were. But the other part of her didn't want to be left alone with her thoughts and the memories.

"Sure." She practically whispered, still staring blankly out the window.

"Alright." Camren breathed, shifting the car into drive to pull away from the hospital entrance.

. *     ✦ .  ⁺   .⁺    ˚

Freya had curled as much of herself as she could into the side of the couch. Her leg was stretched out in front of her on the table with a pillow and some ice laid over it. Liam sat at the opposite end, chancing baby scoots over on the couch when he believed Freya to be fully focused on the movie.

He couldn't fully remember the events of the night prior. After the four had launched to action, everything became a blur. Bits and pieces had slowly surfaced but not enough for him to fully understand Freya's sudden distance. He found himself watching her more than the movie the longer it had gone on.

"Freya..." he whispered after a few moments. She glanced to him out of the corner of her eye, offering no more than a second of eye contact. She simply hummed in response. "I'm so sorry. I just wanted you away from them," He said with a scowl at the memory of the skinheads. "Sometimes I forget my strength."

"It's fine. I've done worse to myself with how clumsy I am." She muttered.

"Right. Is the-" Camren enters the room with a bowl and glass in hand, setting both on the table beside her. He steps back, nervously fidgeting with the ring on his finger.

"Is there anything else you need or would like, Frey?" He asks. She shakes her head, reaching for the bowl of cheddar broccoli soup.

"Thank you." She says softly, giving a closed mouth smile while still not meeting either pairs of eyes on her.

"Of course." Camren looks to Liam. "Food is ready, mate."