029

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
WHIPLASH

𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸

FREYA SAT ON THE COUCH WITH A BOTTLE OF

wine sat on the table in front of her. She poured herself another glass before resting back with a deep breath. Camren came back in the front door after helping Liam and James get Aron and his things into James' car.

Aron was still insistent on staying in his own, but James being the closest to a father figure Aron has had in centuries was able to break through the concrete surrounding his skull. Ensuring him he'd have his much needed space with his work schedule without the attached loneliness that would come in residing alone through heartbreak. James came with a hard bargain, a bottle of whiskey in palm as a peace offering to Aron amidst the chaos.

Camren made his way over to sit beside Freya, releasing a breath of his own as he sat back onto the couch. His body screamed in relief from the never ending tension that billowed thick throughout the house the entire day. "I'm truly so sorry, Freya."

"It's okay." She says softly. "None of this is you, so you don't have anything to be sorry for." She sips on her wine.

"They're my jackasses to manage, so I really do." She chuckles at this, looking to him with a faint smile.

"You aren't to be held accountable for them, Cam." She leans her head over onto his shoulder. "So did he text her?" She questions, the worry already beginning to settle in. She shifts on the couch, tossing her legs over Cam's legs as he leant his head on top of hers.

"Started to once he was in the car, 'm afraid." Freya slides her thumb along the bottom of her wine glass, watching it smudge beneath her movements.

"It won't be long before she makes her way here then." A deep frown pulling at the edges of her lips. "She'll be looking for him. God, she's gonna be so devastated." Freya presses her eyes closed, scrunching her brows.

"We'll take care of her, don't worry." He sets his hands on top of her legs, tracing patterns onto her thigh as they bask in the temporary silence.

About twenty or so minutes pass and the front door burst open, the anticipated appearance of a frantic Eve. Freya immediately rises from her position on the couch. She took in her best friend's appearance with a broken heart, her eyes were puffy and red with wet marks trailing down her cheeks.

"Where is he?" She was quick to croak out with a hoarse voice. Freya walked over with outstretched hands, sympathy coating her features. She tugs Eve into her arms, nestling her head onto Eve's shoulder.

"He's not here, baby.." Trying her absolute best to console her friend, she rubbed soothing circles into her back as Eve started to lose it again.

"W-where-" she started to stutter out between sobs.

"Don't worry about him, Eve. It's not worth your time." Freya brought a hand up to stroke Eve's hair. "Shh. It's okay."

Eve pulled away from Freya, muttering quickly. "I have to go to the bathroom." Freya simply nodded, letting Eve skitter up the stairs. She stood still for a few moments, staring longingly up the stairs after Eve.

"He's such a bloody idiot." Camren says, one elbow propped on the back of the couch so he could rest his head in his hand. Freya glances over to him with a nod.

"The biggest fucking idiot I know." She walks back to the couch, flopping down to resume her previous position in Camren's comfort.

"I think he'll come around. Realize the decision he's made and how wrong it was... both of them really."