Poured Another

BAKUGO'S POV

It has been four days since my meeting and Midoriya's meltdown in the kitchen. He told me he ran from an abusive relationship, but he didn't say if it was physical, mental or emotional. After his reaction, I am sure it was physical, but I am not sure about the rest. I need to talk to him about this, but I am unsure how to bring it up.

I looked at the clock in my office; it was almost lunchtime. Just then, there was a soft knock at my office door. "Come in," I said.

The door opened slowly, and Midoriya's head popped in before the rest of him. "Lunch is ready." He said softly, not making eye contact with me. It was as if he was walking on eggshells around me. I sighed heavily. I'm not used to that. I stood from my desk, making my way to the kitchen.

Masao was at the table, and Kimi was already eating in her high chair. I sat down as he placed a plate in front of me. "This looks good," I said as I looked at what I could only assume was a club sandwich with fries, a pickle spear, and an Iced tea.

"I wasn't sure if you would like it," he said in a soft, timid voice. After our encounter two days ago, he has been very quiet and withdrawn when he is not with the children. I have heard him speak normally when he is with my kids but not around me. I sigh heavily again. Was I too harsh on him?

Maybe I should have cooled off before talking...well, yelling at him. I mean, I should be honest about it. All I could see was Eijiro every time my bank app went off. I got pissed and blew up. I am sure it won't be the last time I make an ass of myself. I feel like an ass. I know I'm not, but I feel like one. I have gotten better at managing my anger.

I heard him on the phone with his friends last night, making plans for the weekend. I don't have friends, just nosey neighbors that think they are my friends. I only talked to them when they were around Eijiro. I haven't seen them since he left. Some 'friends'. "I do like it. I just thought you should know," I said once I was done and ready to head back to my office. He only nodded at me, still not meeting my eyes.

The rest of my work day went by quickly and uneventfully. Midoriya left about two hours ago to get Hanako and Kenzo from school. He told me he was going to take the kids to get ice cream after school. I don't mind if he takes them every once in a while. I told him that was fine and that I would see them when they got home. I was left alone with my thoughts. I decided to go outside into my backyard and get some fresh air. "Hey, Bakugo. I looked up to see my pink-haired neighbor smiling at me over the fence.

I cocked an eyebrow at her. She must be standing on something. It is a ten-foot-tall privacy fence, which Eijiro wanted so he could sunbathe in the nude. "What?" I said curtly. I was not in the mood for company or chit-chat.

She smiled again. "I couldn't help but notice that delicious little cutie you have moved in over there. I am assuming it is over between you and Eijiro?"

I rolled my eyes, regretting the decision to come outside. "I am sure you two knew before I did," I told her, not holding back my distaste for the conversation.

A look of shock took over her face. "No, we had no idea anything was even wrong. The way he gushed about you, I was too caught off guard when he posted pictures of his new boyfriend online."

Narrowing my eyes at her, I am not surprised he did. I remember I wasn't shocked when I saw them. I don't typically keep up with social media much, if at all. My accounts are for work. I only nodded at her, not saying a word.

She kept talking, and I wished she would return inside. "I guess I am going to have to introduce myself to him since you haven't done it. When we first moved in, we invited you guys for a housewarming party, but you haven't invited us over to meet your new guy."

I was standing at the table I had set at, putting my hands in my pockets. "He is not my new guy, nosey. My husband left me with four kids. I needed someone to watch them while I worked. He is the nanny, nothing more, nothing less." I told her before going back inside. I didn't really care how I sounded to her.

My phone buzzed as I shut the door. I took out my phone to see a text.

Midoriya- I just wanted to make sure it was alright to take the kids to the park, and I wanted to let you know I am going by the grocery store. The kids need some snacks for a party at school, and Kenzo is out of bacon.

I sighed. He didn't have to tell me that or ask to take the kids to the park, but I guess that is what I get after how I treated him. I will need to talk to him about this as well.

Me- That's fine

The last few days have been stressful. I need to unwind. That used to mean spending time with my husband, but now, I made my way to my basement instead. I didn't show Midoriya this place on purpose. I was selfishly keeping it for myself. I placed my phone on the pool table as I walked across the room, past the home theater, to the set up at the bar. I grabbed a glass from off the black marble bar top, along with the decanter of brandy, pouring myself a glass.

I came down here to gather my thoughts, but they went to why this basement even looks like this. This was just one more thing Eijiro wanted. One more thing I gave him to make him happy, but he left me anyway. I downed my drink just to pour another and another and another. I laid across the pool table on my back, letting my legs hang off the end.

----------

I awoke to cold water splashing on my face. It wasn't a pleasant way to wake anyone up, and I was pissed when I sat up and saw Midoriya holding a plastic cup in his hand.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I asked. "You can't get pool tables wet."

"Good thing your head was hanging off the table, and it fell on the floor," he said cynically. "And what is wrong with me? What the hell is wrong with you? Do you know how many times I called you? I didn't know you had a basement or that you would be passed out, drunk."

"Why the hell does it matter?" I stood up and stormed back to the bar to clean my mess up. "I just wanted a place that was all mine."

"Then you should have said that. Instead, you've been MIA for five hours. The only reason I knew where you were was because I heard snoring coming from your office. I thought you were in a closet. But no, in a basement that I didn't know about, and the kids obviously didn't think about it." His timidness around me is gone and has been replaced by anger.

"Did you say five hours? What time is it?" I looked around for my phone, quickly finding it on the bar. I tapped the screen, but it was dead.

"Midnight. We had dinner, homework, and bath time, and then Masao threw up. He was crying so hard because he thought you left him too. All four of your kids were crying upstairs because you got drunk and didn't tell anyone where you would be. Do you know how hard it was for them? We couldn't find you. You weren't answering your phone. They were terrified you left them all alone. I assured them that wasn't true and that you were just busy, but that didn't matter. They needed their dad." He turned for the stairs.

I don't blame him for being pissed at me. Hell, I'm pissed at myself. I have kids. I said I would be there for them, then I do this? Made my baby boy so upset that he was throwing up. When Eijiro said he was leaving them with the better parent, I don't think he realized how many times I was going to fuck up.

"I'm going to bed. It's late, and I have to be up early. I was supposed to be at my friend's a few hours ago, but we rescheduled for tomorrow morning. I'll be leaving at nine." He quickly walked up the stairs, leaving me to my thoughts.

Instead of cleaning up like I should have, I poured myself another drink and let the tears fall down my face. I'd been trying so fucking hard, but I'm still human. When Eijiro left, it hurt me. It hurt really fucking bad. I thought he was the love of my life. We were supposed to grow old together and watch our grandkids run around. He was supposed to be my forever.

I was trying to keep it together for the kids. But being here, feeling like I just failed my kids, reminded me of all the ways I failed Eijiro, too. I don't know what made me think I could do this.

I poured another drink.