2| BEING IGNORED HURTS LIKE A BITCH

MIA

"Why didn't you wear the dress I bought last week?" My mom's voice filled the car as she focused on the road ahead. I didn't know how to respond, so I simply reached for the book "Unravel me" from the backseat and plugged in my earpods, seeking solace in my favorite pastime.

You see, I'm a book lover through and through. You could call me a book freak or nerd-I embrace both labels. Books are my sanctuary, and I keep them hidden all over the house. There are books tucked under the living room chair, stashed in the garage, hidden in my mom's room, and even in the kitchen. Once, I even stowed a book in the bathroom, only for Miles, to mistake it for his own personal toilet paper. In retaliation, I sneakily placed his precious Snickers bar outside in the rain. It was the perfect prank, though it did earn me a month of silent treatment. Thankfully, Miles is a self-proclaimed chocolate freak, and I eventually won him over by offering him my stash of Halloween candy.

"I didn't feel like wearing it, and what's so special about your friend anyway?" I responded bluntly, growing increasingly irritated with the situation. The car fell into a heavy silence, and my mom's gaze seemed to drift elsewhere, avoiding my eyes.

"Then the clothes can stay," she sighed briefly before refocusing on driving. The car remained quiet, so I decided to chat with my two friends, Sydney and Ariel, through our group chat.

"Hey Mia, let's go to the movies. I want to watch the spider movie with the cute dark guy," Ariel texted.

"You mean 'Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse,'" Sydney replied with a moody emoji.

"I wish, but my mom is taking me to the airport," I replied sadly, envious that they were going to the movies while I was stuck heading to the airport. Ugh!

"That sounds boring. Why though?" Ariel questioned.

"I have no clue," I replied with a sigh.

Suddenly, the car came to a stop, and I noticed my mom parking. "Okay, let's go," she said as she got out of the car. "I guess I'm already here. Have fun at the movies," I sent my final message before tucking my phone away and clutching my book.

"Put the book away, Mia," my mom rolled her eyes, clearly tired of my peculiar obsession with books.

I frowned and retorted, "Mom, let's just go before it gets even more crowded." It was true-the airport was already bustling with people, likely due to the influx of arrivals.

"Fine, but at least..." She suddenly approached me, untied my hairband, and let a few strands of hair fall loose.

"Mom, what are you doing?!" I whispered with a mix of surprise and annoyance, attempting to step back. However, her strong arms prevented my escape, and she proceeded to adjust my hoodie.

"I don't understand what's so special about this friend of yours. Are they some sort of celebrity?" I muttered, just loud enough for her to hear. She brushed off my remark and looked at my face intently.

"Trust me, you'll thank me later," she said with an air of mystery, before taking hold of my hand and guiding me towards the entrance. I let out a sigh and rolled my eyes, resigning myself to wherever destination she was taking me.

"Holy Crap," I muttered under my breath as I surveyed the sea of people rushing past, dragging their luggage in all directions.

"Well, good luck finding your friend," I said to my Mum, clearly unenthusiastic about witnessing her search for this so-called mysterious friend.

Without waiting for a response, I turned and began making my way towards a more comfortable spot. I could hear her calling after me, "Okay, but stay safe and keep your phone with you!" I didn't bother replying, simply raised my left hand in a thumbs-up gesture, and set off in search of a less chaotic place.