17| WELL... THIS TOOK A DIFFERENT TURN

MIA

" Likewise, what the fuck are you also doing here?!"

I rushed down the stairs, my heart pounding with a mixture of surprise and relief that the pain hadn't struck me at that moment. The sound of Jackson's voice, laced with anger, arguing with Ethan caught me off guard. It was a tone I wasn't accustomed to hearing from him.

It was kind of hot, though.

"Mia," Ethan announced my presence, causing another pairs of brown eyes to fixate on me.

I swallowed hard. "What are you doing here, Ethan?" I tried to act calm, folding my arms and meeting his gaze head-on.

His eyes furrowed. "I heard you weren't feeling well, so I came because I was worr-"

Jackson scoffed, cutting him off before he could finish. "Worried?" His jaw clenched. "Says the guy who ditched her on her fucking date!" He almost shouted, his anger barely contained.

Ethan glared at him, stepping towards Jackson. "Look here-"

I quickly stepped between them, blocking Ethan's path.

"That's enough, Ethan," I said firmly. He seemed defeated. "Mia, I can explain about the date. Please, just listen to me," he pleaded, a mix of desperation and remorse in his eyes. He had tried to contact me, but I wasn't in the mood to talk to him.

I can't believe I'm about to do this.

I turned to Jackson, who still had a fierce glare fixed on Ethan. He looked so angry, and I couldn't blame him.

Reaching out, I gently touched his clenched hand. He glanced down at me, and his gaze softened.

"It's okay, I'll be fine. You should go, okay?" I said softly.

I felt his hand tighten for a moment before he let go. "Okay," he mumbled, giving me a warm smile.

I withdrew my hand as he walked away, gathering his belongings from the living room. I could sense Ethan's gaze lingering from the moment I calmed Jackson down to him packing his things.

Jackson returned from his preparations to leave, his bag slung over his shoulder as he approached me. His eyes still held a glare towards Ethan, and I suspected Ethan was doing the same.

"Are you sure?" he asked, uncertainty lacing his words.

"Yeah, I'm sure," I replied, giving him a brief smile to assure him that he needn't worry.

It's my problem, so I should handle it.

I started to step aside, creating space for him so he wouldn't have to look at Ethan and get angry, but he held onto my arm.

Confusion washed over me as I stared at him, but it quickly turned to shock as his soft lips suddenly pressed against my cheek.

It happened so fast.

"I'll call you later," he whispered into my ear, causing my heart to momentarily stop.

"O-Okay," I stammered, whispering back to him as he gently tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. His touch made me feel dizzy and excited all at once.

I knew he did it to rattle Ethan, and there wasn't much more to it.

But...

He smirked, a satisfied expression on his face, and then left the house, leaving me alone with a very upset Ethan, who had witnessed everything.

Oh boy.

My eyes turned back to Ethan, and I could see a mix of frustration, anger, and sadness etched on his face.