4| TODAY IS A LITTLE WEIRD BUT GOOD WEIRD

MIA

Ugh, Mondays.

The bane of my existence.

As I reluctantly slipped into the dreaded ensemble of a grey blazer and skirt, I couldn't help but feel like I was being initiated into a cult. Seriously, why did we all have to wear the exact same uniform? It was like the fashion police had declared a state of emergency, and conformity was the only way to survive. Meanwhile, Miles had struck gold with his attendance at a public school. No uniforms, no suffocating sameness. That's probably where his wild and crazy antics stemmed from. Lucky him.

"Mia, honey, don't be so moody. It's not good for that pretty face of yours," Dad's voice crackled through the screen of my phone. It had been a few years since Dad had landed that high-paying gig as an oil engineer, which allowed us to infiltrate the prestigious halls of Breston. Sure, it meant we saw him less frequently, but he always made an effort to stay connected. Gotta give him credit for that.

"Just the usual 'I'd rather be anywhere but school' mood, Dad," I replied, absentmindedly brushing my hair and letting it tumble down my shoulders in its natural state. Styling was for the motivated, and today, I was definitely not feeling the motivation. "So, you're ready to go with Jackson, right?" His words caught me off guard, and my hand froze against my lips as I absentmindedly applied lip balm.

He didn't have to bring up the dreaded topic now.

Ever since Maddy broke the news to me, I had been torn between excitement and nervousness. Sure, Jackson seemed somewhat okay on Saturday, and I was relieved that we could at least hold a conversation. But that didn't mean we were suddenly best friends again. I mean, I messed up big time, and while I desperately wanted to repair our fractured connection, the thought of Jackson waltzing into Breston flooded my mind with a torrent of questions.

Would he even acknowledge my existence at school, or would I become the invisible girl, doomed to blend into the background? And let's not even get started on the mind-blowing transformation he had undergone. I was fully prepared for girls to lose their minds over his newfound magnetism. Seriously, it was like he had discovered the secret to becoming a walking heartthrob overnight.

"Mia, are you listening?" Dad's patient voice snapped me back to reality, and I realized I had been lost in my own little world. "Huh? Yeah," I mumbled, rising from my bed, grabbing my bag, and trudging down the stairs with my phone in hand.

"Guess who's eager to chat?" I announced, proudly displaying my phone showing Dad on the screen to the curious faces of my family. Maddy pounced on the opportunity, snatching it from my grasp with the speed of a cheetah. "Hey, that's just rude!" I exclaimed, rolling my eyes in mock annoyance before making my way to the kitchen, the symphony of clattering dishes accompanying my footsteps.

"You don't want to chat with Dad?" I questioned Miles as I poured oats into a bowl and added a generous splash of milk. He glanced up from his phone either engrossed with a game or, undoubtedly, a conversation with some girl he found hot.

Boys.

"Nah, we had a marathon chat session a few days ago. I'm good," he replied nonchalantly, his attention immediately returning to his phone..

I nodded and took a few more bites of my breakfast, feeling the weariness settle in. As I finished cleaning the bowl, the doorbell chimed, jolting me from my thoughts. "He's here, Mia!" Maddy's voice echoed through the house, and I nearly dropped the bowl in my attempt to keep it steady. She zoomed towards me, bidding a hasty farewell to Dad and thrusting my phone into my hand. "Let's go!" she exclaimed, dragging me along as I scrambled to grab my bag.

Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and there stood Jackson, hands casually tucked into his pockets, gazing down at his feet. "Hey," I managed to breathe out, hoping to catch his attention. His head lifted, and a warm smile graced his lips. Of course, he had to showcase his dimples!