20| HE'S ACTING WEIRD

MIA

"I'm sorry too,"

Jackson's unexpected apology caught me off guard as we walked back to class. People stared at my outfit, but I didn't care. I was walking beside Jackson, and that was all that mattered.

"For?" I raised an eyebrow, curious about what he meant.

"For acting like a jerk earlier when I came to pick you up," he confessed, surprising me. I never expected him to apologize. In reality, it was my fault. I had been the jerk by avoiding his text messages.

"Then we're both jerks, I guess," I chuckled, realizing that I had started the whole thing by ignoring him. He stared at me for a moment, then nodded his head in approval of my response.

We entered the classroom together, which turned out to be a mistake. Rachel, with her judgmental cat-like eyes, was the first thing I noticed. Jackson leaned towards me and whispered in my ear, "Ignore her," before heading to his usual seat.

I thought he would sit in his own spot, but instead, he deliberately chose Ethan's chair. He completely ignored Rachel's attempts to speak to him and focused his gaze on me. With a gentle pat on my desk, he gestured for me to sit next to him.

Dear universe, please help me.

I noticed Ariel and Sydney smirking mischievously from behind the class, but I shook my head and walked slowly to my seat, determined not to let their presence bother me.

"See, that wasn't all bad," Jackson said, his eyes sparkling as the sunlight illuminated his face, making him even more captivating.

'It's bad, it's really, really bad,' I thought, feeling the weight of the situation.

"Whatever you say," I coughed, shifting my focus to the teacher who had just entered the class.

"Mia," Jackson whispered my name, breaking my concentration once again.

*What?" I turned towards him, secretly hoping I hadn't, but I couldn't resist. He rested his cheek on his hand, facing me without blinking. It was as if he was lost in thought or maybe he had called my name by mistake.

His hair was tousled by the gentle breeze that swept across the room. I knew I needed to focus on the class, fearing that the teacher might suddenly call on me while my mind was preoccupied with something far more captivating.

But I couldn't concentrate, not with the way his eyes traced every detail of my face, as though he was trying to etch it into his memory.

"W...What?" I whispered, feeling my face grow hot under his intense gaze.

My question seemed to bring him back to reality, and he blinked his eyes, lifting his head from the desk.

"Oh, it's nothing, just lost in thought," he nervously chuckled, shifting his gaze away from me and towards the teacher.

Was that a faint blush on his cheeks?

I'm probably imagining things too much.

I decided to focus on what the teacher was saying. However, I couldn't understand a single word she uttered, and I silently hoped that the class would be over soon. Thankfully, my wishes were granted., my wishes were granted.

The day flew by quickly, even though I felt frozen in my seat like a statue ever since Jackson decided to sit next to me. I could sense him staring at me most of the time, but whenever I asked if there was something on my face, he would simply say no, which was strange.

"Hey Mia, let's grab a burger at our usual spot," Ariel grabbed my arm, along with Sydney.

"Oh, you mean where that cute waiter is?" I teased, causing Ariel to blush.