13 | BETTER THAN THE FIRST DATE?

MIA

"Sorry," I apologized to Jackson for the umpteenth time as I gently pressed the icebox wrapped in cloth against the spot where the ball had hit him. The pharmacy lady had been kind enough to provide it, but his cheek had turned a bright shade of red.

Now I understand why they say Korean skin is delicate.

"It's okay... Ouch!" Jackson had been insisting that it was fine, but honestly, it wasn't. I couldn't help but feel responsible since Ethan had bailed on me, and he had to come to pick me up. We were still killing time because Miles had called to say that his car had just started moving, and he had a long way to go before reaching home.

Which meant we were stuck with each other.

"I think I should try something else," I suggested, removing the ice pack from his face. The redness seemed to have lessened a bit, which was a relief.

"Maybe the ointment," he said, and I remembered that the pharmacy lady had given us an ointment. She had mentioned that it would help reduce the pain and redness on his cheek. What a kind lady.

"Okay," I said, looking around for the ointment package. "Found it," I whispered to myself as I picked it up from the floor. I handed it to Jackson, but he just stared at it.

"What?"

"Put it on," he whispered, glancing at me and then around us.

"Huh?"

He sighed, taking the ointment package from my hand. He squeezed some onto his fingers and then grabbed my hand, placing it on top of his fingers. "What are you do-"

"This," he smiled, guiding my hand to his cheek and helping me rub the ointment from my fingers onto his skin.

"Oh," so smooth.

"Yep," he shifted closer to me, and I found myself frozen in place.

I swallowed hard, feeling his gaze on me as I 'tried' to concentrate on applying more ointment to his cheek. It was difficult.

Have you ever been close to an incredibly attractive guy? Well, I hadn't, not even with Ethan, whom I used to have frequent group work with. And now, here I was, in close proximity to Jackson, and my hands were seriously trembling.

As I massaged his cheek, I suddenly remembered how close we had been before the little girl hit him with the ball. Oh gosh, if she hadn't, would we have...

"No," I shook my head, denying those thoughts.

"Mia," I heard Jackson call my name, and I glanced at him, noticing him smiling. "You're blushing."

My hand stopped, and I began coughing uncontrollably. "It's... the weather... It's really hot, you know," I stumbled over my words, feeling as if the universe wanted me to get caught, because right after I spoke, a gust of wind blew forcefully, hitting both of us at the same time.

Just great.

"Ah... Definitely the wind," Jackson teased, nodding his head while biting his lip and looking at me.

That was it.

"I'm... done," I blurted out, pulling my hand back and moving away from him. I needed some space to clear my head, but it was hard when we were still so close.

I put the ointment back in my bag and stood up. "I'm going for a short walk, I'll be right back," I gave him a brief smile and walked away before he had a chance to respond.

I strolled around the block, gazing up at the beautiful stars and listening to the laughter and chatter of people enjoying themselves. My feet came to a stop in front of a small restaurant, one of those places where you stand and eat. Suddenly, my stomach growled, demanding attention.