12 | THIS CLOSE TO FREAKING OUT!

MIA

"Let's get you up first," Jackson said, reaching out to hold my waist and lift me off the floor. His eyes scanned my body, searching for any signs of injuries.

"Are you okay?" His concern was evident in his voice and his worried expression. I couldn't help but nod, even though I wasn't entirely fine.

"You're lying," he stated, noticing the bruise on my knee.

"I... what are you doing here?" I asked, curious about his unexpected presence.

"Miles called me. He couldn't make it due to the terrible traffic. I don't think we'll be able to get back early... But don't worry, he called your mom, so she thinks you're hanging out with him," he explained, providing some relief.

I lowered my head, feeling a bit embarrassed as I remembered breaking down in front of him. "Let's... go then," I managed to say, picking up my bag from the floor.

As I moved to walk away, I felt his hand on my arm, pulling me back. I wanted to ask him what had happened, but before I could, he placed his hand on my waist and effortlessly lifted me off the ground. "Jackson!"

"What? You're injured," he retorted, heading towards the car. "It's just a scratch! Put... Put me down now," I insisted, trying to regain control of the situation.

He rolled his eyes instead of complying, lifting me slightly and encouraging me to wrap my hands around his neck to prevent myself from falling. "You... You'll fall... let me down," I stuttered, glancing at the ground and then back at him. He was smirking. "Are you mocking me?"

"Something like that," he grinned mischievously. I wanted to speak up and ask him to put me down, but he leaned closer to my face. "Stay put, the guards are watching."

Oh no! I had completely forgotten about them.

"Fine," I muttered, feeling my cheeks flush with embarrassment. My eyes quickly shifted from his jawline to his neck, specifically his Adam's apple. "You're such a creep, Mia," I scolded myself silently.

We cautiously approached the car, my heart pounding like a drum. But being this close to him, I realized how foolish I was to think it could remain calm. Jackson's presence was so warm and comforting, momentarily making me forget about Ethan leaving me. However, as soon as that memory resurfaced, so did the pain.

Just great.

"Boy," we heard a voice and turned to see the older guard who resembled pops calling out to Jackson. "Yes, sir," Jackson replied respectfully.

"I don't know how important it was for you to leave your girlfriend all alone here," the man remarked, and I immediately coughed upon hearing the word 'girlfriend'. His girlfriend?!

"No... It's... not... that, he... he's not my..." My mind kept fixating on that word, causing my foolish heart to race uncontrollably.

"It's okay, young lady. I understand you're trying to protect your boyfriend, but it's just not right to leave a lady alone, especially on a date," the older man continued, accusing Jackson. Everything in me wanted to scream and say he wasn't my boyfriend, and that he had it all wrong.

"You're right, sir," I turned my head toward Jackson's face as quickly as I could. Huh?! "What kind of boyfriend am I to leave my girlfriend all alone here? I apologize." What on earth was he doing?! He should just tell the truth, or better yet, why was I keeping silent?

"Good, but make sure to keep her happy, okay," the man concluded which that was last straw.

"Sir, you have it all wrong. He's not my boy—" I nervously laughed, waving my hands in denial, but Jackson cut me off.