25| WHERE'S JACKSON?

MIA

"Dad?" I called out, my voice filled with hope and disbelief. I stood frozen at the doorway, stealing a glance at Mom, who wore a mischievous grin.

But it wasn't a figment of my imagination. Dad was really back.

Without hesitation, my feet propelled me forward, and I rushed into his waiting arms. "Woah," he chuckled, attempting to lift me up but struggling. "I missed you too, my angel."

"I can't believe you're actually here," I whispered, pulling away from the embrace. "I thought you were coming back next month."

He nodded, a gleam of mischief in his eyes. "I was supposed to, but I managed to finagle an early vacation. Besides, I missed you guys so much that I couldn't wait another month," he playfully pinched my cheeks.

"Mum?" I suddenly remembered. "I want to apologize for being late. I promise it won't happen again."

"It's alright," Dad interjected, taking a seat next to Mom. "She was just worried. She explained that you were out with your friends, and sometimes we can forget about curfews, right?"

"Right," I agreed.

Finally, Mom let out a sigh. "I'm not angry, but next time, please give us a call, okay?"

"I promise," I assured them.

"Well, that's settled," Dad chuckled, motioning for me to head to my room. "But kiddo, it's getting late. You should go to your room while I spend some time with my wife." It was then that I noticed the two plates of spaghetti and meatballs, along with a bottle of champagne and two glasses.

As I often said, romance ran in our blood.

"No problem," I winked at him, and he responded with the same playful gesture. No one needed to tell me that Dad was head over heels in love with Mom. And Mom, well, she had driven all the way across the state just to be with Dad every Saturday.

I hugged Dad one more time before bidding them both goodnight. Climbing the stairs to my room, I couldn't help but wonder how life would be if Dad wasn't around. It would probably be terrible, considering how common it was for parents to split up at school and in the community.

I had heard that misunderstandings and cheating weren't always the reasons for couples separating. Sometimes, their connection simply fizzled out, and they no longer saw a reason to stay together. And that put the children in a tough spot.

They would have to choose which parent to live with, and the thought alone was agonizing. If my parents ever ended up like that, I would cry my eyes out if I couldn't see them together.

Finally, I entered my room, letting the darkness envelope me. I didn't bother turning on the light and instead settled onto my bed. A troubling thought crossed my mind, causing my heart to ache.

How did Jackson survive when his parents got divorced?

I never mustered the courage to ask him about it. During times like those, you needed someone to be there for you, to reassure you that everything would be okay. But was there anyone there for him? Did he have someone to tell him it would be alright?

I clutched my pillow tightly against my chest as guilt washed over me. He must have wanted to talk to someone about it. Maybe he confided in his girlfriend at the time. Even just uttering that word made my heart break even more. I wished I had been there to ask him about his preferences in a girl. Maybe that was for the best. If I had seen them kiss or act like a couple, my jealousy would've been hard to hide.

But still... I really wanted to be more involved in his life.

He had been there for me even before I acted like a coward and ignored him when we were younger. And now, he was still there. I realized I didn't know much about him anymore and wondered if he still liked the same things he did as a child.