31

𝐇𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲

Bonnie knew. About the feeding. About the blood. About the bar. She'd seen him, caught him red-handed (or red-mouthed so to speak) and now she knew. Which meant that by sunrise so would Elena. His relationship was doomed.

Not if I see her first. Not if I explain.

He hadn't really fallen off the wagon. He had things under control.

No. I can't go there. Not yet. Not until I have what I need.

If he was going to prove to Bonnie, to Elena, to everyone that he had things under control then he was going to need something to hold him over. Just to take the edge off. A few bags to store in the cellar for when the thirst was too much.

It's too much now.

Stefan could still feel the last meal's pulse slowing at his lips as that hot liquid had filled his mouth and poured down his throat in all of it's salty goodness. He shivered excitedly, licking his extended fangs. God, he'd forgotten how much better it tasted from the vein!

Just one more drink and I'll be fine.

He made his way through the streets, empty at this time of night. Mystic Falls wasn't that big a town. Most people went to bed at decent hours. Or at least home anyway. Hunting wouldn't be as productive if he went about it this way. No, he would need a more reliable method of acquiring blood in the long haul. Perhaps he could keep a few bodies in the cellar.

If I compel them to be quiet maybe Damon wouldn't notice.

Who was he kidding? Of course Damon would notice extra heartbeats in the cellar! His brother wasn't completely oblivious.

Then I'll just have to hunt them myself. Hide them in another location. Damon doesn't have to know.

He could compel someone to let him store the living bodies at their home. Keep them there fresh and fed and visit when he was hungry. And compel the others to clean the mess when he was done. Until it was their turn to be the mess.

Yes that sounded like a plan.

Wait, no. He couldn't. That was the exact opposite of what he should be doing. Feeding, killing (because he knew he couldn't feed without killing) and lying to everyone he cared about. He had to control himself. To reign in his thirst.

But the thirst, it was too real.

He wanted blood. Rich blood. Warm blood. Hot blood spurting from hard pumping veins as its owner panicked in a near death hysteria. Stefan fell to his knees, overcome. He needed more. MORE MORE MORE!

His ears strained, listening for anything with a pulse. Any animals nearby had already fled upon his approach. They needn't have bothered; he had a taste for something a little more sophisticated. Unfortunately all of the bars and late night libation joints had closed down for the night. No one was around.