Never knew

Neteyam's POV

"You think if Payakan was still a member, he would have been a part of this?" Lo'ak asked, implying that the festival was also celebrating not just any Tulkun but Payakan as well.

"I mean, I dunno," I shrug, " they say he was a killer so maybe not"

"Shut up bro" Lo'ak rolled his eyes, "how many times have I told you—

"He saved your life yeah I know," I finish his sentence, as much as I liked teasing Lo'ak about it I knew deep down that Payakan did in fact save his life

I remember Naya asking me if Lo'ak would ever lie about such a thing and I told her no, so I'm putting my trust off of her alone.

We made our way to the center of the village where the festival was to be held, I remember the ones we had back in the forest. They were much more translucent than the ones the Metkayina make, I sure did miss them back home.

But I had to get used to these ones now, since it's our new home and we'll accept the change whether we like it or not

"Do we have to go?" Kiri groaned to our parents, "yes Kiri, im not so content about it either but we have to show the people that we are not to be saddened." Mom explained as she side hugged Kiri who only just accepted her fate.

as we made our way to the entrance, my eyes immediately stopped at her.

She was pretty, like always. To me, Naya was like the tree of souls. Hard to stare away from, easy to mesmerize, but tonight she looked so much more than that.

Next to her was Aonung, of course. Aonung and his group of friends were basically huddled around Naya, especially Aonung who I could tell couldn't keep his eyes off of her.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to shove Aonung again like I did at the shore, or be him.

"You good bro?" Lo'ak said, interrupting my train of thought. "Yeah.. we should probably see what they have for food no?" I suggested, Lo'ak formed a smile.

"Good idea, I haven't ate all day." He says as we made our way to the area where they were serving the food.

"Don't listen to them Naya, you look great." I heard Aonung say from a distance, I frowned, what did he mean by that?

Naya only smiled timidly at him before looking away, I didn't like how he made her smile. Even if it was a sloppy smile.

"Fish again?" Lo'ak whined, "how many times are we going to be eating that?"

"Bro, it's only the first time this week" I laugh, Lo'ak only groaned. "Yeah but it seems like I eat it everyday."

"You're gonna have to get used to it, Fish is Metkayina main dish." A girl said from behind us, she was almost as tall as me and had golden jewels hanging on her head— she kind of reminded me of the chiefs wife.

"My names Tala by the way," she says to me, not even bothering to acknowledge Lo'ak who was standing next to me.

"Hey," I say, " I'm Neteyam and that's my bro Lo'ak." I introduce Lo'ak who only has a weird expression on his face.

Lo'ak is so imprudent sometimes, not gonna lie I would be making the same face too because I had no idea who this girl is and why she was talking to us but either way I had to show some manners

"Yeah I know who you are, the infamous trouble makers of the village." She says, Lo'ak didn't find that title amusing.

"Right," I faked my laugh, not sure of what else to say. "Are you in line for the food by any chance?"

"Oh! No actually." She says as she approaches me closer, "I came to talk to you specifically."

Lo'ak side eyes the both of us, "aye yknow I'm just gonna grab some food for you bro I'll be right back." He quickly says as he gets in line for the food with the rest already there leaving me and Tala on our own.

Great, thanks a-lot bro

"Why is it that you wanted to talk to me specifically?" I asked her, she smiled at me. "I just wanted to get to know you and I thought it be a great time."

"Get to know me? Why?"

She laughs, "wow, you ask so many questions." I gave her a crooked smile, "I'm just a bit on edge, sorry."

"No worries," she grins, "I think I can help with that," she takes a hold of my hand and caresses it slowly, I immediately take it away from her hold.

"I-uhm I think I need to go see where my family is at, I'll be right back." I say to her, she only nods as I quickly head away from her. I have no clue what just happened but I've never been more uncomfortable in my life.

I walk far away enough to bump into Rotxo, great. Another uncomfortable situation for me.

"My bad bro, I didn't see you." I say as Rotxo only smiles, "you're good, no worries." He says

"What's the rush?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why do you look so tense?" He chuckles as he offers me a beverage. "Here, hopefully this will calm you down."

"Right," I take his offer and sip out of the beverage. It was sweet, reminded me of the water back in hallelujah mountains. Now that water was something else.

"Surprised to see you without Naya," he says, my eyes widened. "Why is that surprising?"

"I dunno, I always see you guys together so I just assumed you'd arrive here together too."

I shrug, "nah, it's just me and my bro."

"Also, no hard feelings right?" I ask, Rotxo raising an eyebrow wondering what I meant by that.

"From what?" He asked, sipping out of his beverage and waiting for me to explain.

"The fight, I know you weren't there but I always wondered what you thought about us since."

Rotxo took a moment to think before speaking, "I never really cared about that. It's something between you guys and Aonung. I don't have anything against you or your family."

I was surprised, I figured Rotxo was just like the others considering how he hangs around them a lot. Especially Aonung who's almost like a brother to him.

"I think mainly it's because I like your sister," Rotxo admitted, I looked at him like he was crazy. "Kiri? You like Kiri?"

"Yeah, don't tell her I told you though." He says and I only nod, " trust bro, I won't"

I began to laugh, " that's crazy bro, you got a thing for Kiri."

"yeah, quit laughing." He says as he begins to laugh with me as well. I never thought I would see myself enjoying my time with Rotxo out of all people.

"I said I'm fine Tsireya!" I hear Naya's voice, it sounded aggravated. Like the time she told me off at the shore.

"Woah, sounds like the besties are fighting." Rotxo jokes as he stares with me at them, we see Tsireya run off as Naya walks the opposite direction and out into the shore

"Yknow what, I'm gonna go check on Naya." I tell Rotxo as I had him back my beverage, he looks at it confused.

"Oh and don't begin to flirt with my sister, that's gross." I say lastly incase he goes looking for her, Rotxo only chuckles at my comment before I ran off to check on Naya.