12

"This is to seal your vow and your friendship."

- - - - - - - - -

(Y/N)'s POV (1st person)

We reach the East wing after a while, the only light being from the hallway and Usopp's lantern. Once we get into the room, Kaya goes to the back up generator, switching it on. Usopp then blows out the flame in the lantern as it wasn't needed. He puts down the lantern and aggressively flinched, blaming it on a spider.

"We treated him like family," Kaya stresses, "How did I not see it? How did I not see him?"

Not gonna lie, out of context, that sounds like a heartbroken teen finding her 'true love.'

"It's not your fault. He took advantage of you. Now, I need you to be strong so that we can get out of here," Nami comforts.

Kaya then starts walking towards the mantel, more specifically, the painting above it. Kaya promptly takes off the cloth cover, revealing a portrait of her and her parents. She stares at it for a little, letting out a disappointed sigh.

"They'd be so disappointed."

"No," Nami shakes her head, "No, they'd want you to survive, and that's exactly what we are going to do."

Kaya nods, stepping back a little to open up the hidden compartment behind the portrait. Inside, was the second crank. Kaya pulls it out with some resistance, so Nami helps. We all then all try to pull the crank so that the lights and energy turn back on.

- - - - - - - - -

Zoro's POV (3rd person)

Zoro opens his eyes, looking around to find the same surroundings that he woke up to last time. He props himself up onto his elbow, thinking for a little. Zoro tries to stand up, staggering a little, and steadies himself with a hand on the damp wall.

-FLASHBACK-

Zoro waited by the lake for so long, it was starting to be sunset. He noticed Sensei, as well as (Y/N) walking towards him. 

Zoro turned around fully to bow to Sensei, "Sensei. I was just waiting for Kuina."

He finally looks at (Y/N), noticing tear stains against her skin. "Do... Do you know where she is?" he asks, confused and starting to assume the worst.

"Kuina is..." Sensei started, looking away from Zoro guiltily, "There was an accident. She's... She's gone."

There was a moment of solemn silence, until it was broken by a tearing up Zoro, "But... she can't be. We made a promise."

(Y/N) slowly walked up to him, the tears starting again, and pulled Zoro in for a hug. Zoro wrapped his arms tightly around (Y/N), trying not to cry. Sensei rested his hands on both of their shoulders, his condolences being nonverbally conveyed as well as mourning with the two kids.

-PRESENT-

"We made a promise," Zoro reminisces.

This gives him motivation, starting the climb once more.

-FLASHBACK-

All of the students walking in a single filed line, all uniformly making a sort of semi-circle around the shrine to honor Kuina.

-PRESENT-

Zoro gets around halfway in the climb, rocks falling, but he still continues on.

-FLASHBACK-

Everyone sits, leaving Zoro standing. Sensei looked at him, Zoro staring straight back. He then starts walking towards the shrine, bowing towards Sensei. Sensei bowed back to acknowledge him, so Zoro turned to bow to Kuina's shrine. Zoro and Sensei share another glance before Zoro kneels down to take Kuina's katana. He brings it up, holding it up in front of him, bowing once more.