✦30✦

Chapter Thirty
Tough Choices Have To Be Made

*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*

"The transmitter controls are sealed behind here, we need like an oxyacetylene or something," Mickey said as he leaned an arm against the control panel.

"Oh, and I forgot to bring it with me," Jake retorted.

"Well, then what do we do?" Mickey asked, not sensing the sarcasm.

"We'll crash the zeppelin," Jake said like it was obvious.

"With us inside it?"

"We could set it to automatic and then just leg it. Let's have a look." Jake spotted the computer nearby and started typing. He shook his head. "It's locked. There's got to be an override."

"Let me have a go," Mickey said and grabbed Jake's arm. "I'm good with computers, trust me." He pushed Jake aside before putting his hacking skills to good use.

*---*---*---*---*---*

"I've been captured but don't worry, Emma and Rose are still out there. They can rescue me. Oh, well never mind," the Doctor quipped.

He walked inside Cyber Control thanks to the Cyberman forcefully escorting him. Pete and John each sat on a chair with long faces. Something definitely happened. Rose stood awkwardly not knowing how to feel, what to do, or where to look. Emma just leaned back against the wall but when she saw the Doctor she got both happy and worried.

"You okay?" he asked, stopping beside his angel.

"Better now that you're here," Emma admitted.

"They've got Jackie," Rose said. "Mary too."

"We were too late," Pete stated a hard tone to his voice. "Lumic killed them."

"They're those machines now," John said.

"Then where is he?" the Doctor glanced around. "The famous Mister Lumic. Don't we get to meet our Lord and Master?"

"He has been upgraded."

"So he's just like you," the Doctor looked at the Cyberman.

"He is superior. The Lumic Unit has been designated Cyber Controller."

There was a small gust of wind before the large door in the room slid open. Both Cybermen who'd escorted the Doctor turned their heads to look. Gliding out of it was an upgraded version of a Cyberman in a wheelchair, bigger and much different than the rest of the Cybermen. It was obviously Lumic.

"This is the Age of Steel and I am its Creator."

*---*---*---*---*---*

"Almost there," Mickey reassured.

Jake watched as Mickey hacked the system. So much like Ricky, but at the same time nothing like him. He hated to admit it but he still ended up saying it, "Not bad work."

A faint shuffling sound bristled behind them, Jake turned to have a look before immediately jumping to the side. He grabbed Mickey's arm and the two flew apart. The Cyberman who had been lifeless just standing quietly in the corner doing nothing had suddenly come to life.

"It's moving! You said it was dead!" Jake shouted.

"Yeah, but a robot's still a big robot," Mickey remarked. Jake raised his gun but Mickey stopped him. "Wait a minute. Hey, Cyberman, over here!" Mickey gestured. "Come on, you brainless lump of metal," he called out before shoving Jake aside. "Come and have a go," Mickey taunted it. It stomped closer and closer but at the last second, he dodged and ran. The Cyberman's fist was already raised. When it came back down instead of hitting its intended target its hand smashed into the control panel.