✦34✦

Chapter Thirty-Four
Leaving For The Stars Again

*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*

When they got back to the bunker, Cas healed Dean while Emma healed Sam. Mary wasn't too banged up only a cut and a bruise. She was new to the whole angel healing thing so Emma and Dean had to sit her down and convince her before she agreed to try it. Now they were acting like a regular family, sitting around the map table and eating a slice of pie. Or in Dean's case, shoveling pie in his piehole.

"Could you eat that any faster?" Mary asked, smiling at Dean in amusement.

"No," he mumbled through a mouthful of delicious pie. "No, I cannot."

Mary looked back at Sam but he just shrugged with a 'what can you do' sort of look on his face.

"So, where's Emma?" Mary asked after another minute.

Dean swallowed as he shot a glance behind him at the TARDIS still standing in the library. "Probably getting ready to leave for another adventure."

"Already?"

"Yeah, uh, she never stays long," Dean said, looking at Mary. "Time and space that's where her life is now."

"And you're okay with that?" Mary asked. 

She might have been an absent parent until now but if she wasn't. If she had the chance to raise Sam and Dean like she was supposed to. She didn't think she'd be okay with them disappearing and reappearing like some sort of magic show. Not to mention, never knowing where they were or what year they were in. Just floating around there in space and time somewhere.

"Yeah, well... " Dean tilted his head. "I mean, it sucks not having my little girl at home," he admitted. "But after everything, I know she's in good hands. I know the life she leads is dangerous. Hell, it's probably even more dangerous than hunting, to be honest, but she loves it. She's happy and as long as she's happy, I'm happy. Up there among the stars and beside that lanky Doctor of hers, that's where she belongs."

"Mom," Sam called Mary, still not used to using the term yet. "Emma shares a bond with the Doctor. It's - It's difficult to explain. Dean shares the same kind of bond with Castiel."

"What bond? What does that even mean?" Mary asked, not understanding a thing.

"Hard to explain, trust me," Dean said.

"It basically means one can't live well without the other," Sam tried to explain anyway. "The minute they met each other they had this connection. No one can break it. It's strong and if they're not constantly around each other-"

"They're basically off their game," Dean helped his brother out. "Take it as a bond. Soulmates. Destiny, whatever. And yeah, I hate the fact that I never know where Emma is or if she's okay. I'm worried sick about her every day. I can phone her but that's it. She could be gone for two years and come back tomorrow morning and I'd never know the difference. Or she could be gone for one year but really she was only gone for two hours. It drives me nuts."

"But in the end, I'm happier knowing that she's out there doing something that she loves with the person who she loves than staying here with us and being a hunter mixed up in this crap. Demons, angels, hell even God himself and his sister Amara are threats. They can hurt Emma, they can get her killed but out there with the Doctor, there's no chance of that. He'll keep her safe."

"You seem to have a lot of faith in him."

Dean looked at Mary. "I've seen what he can do. He's prepared to do anything to protect my kid. What else can I ask for?"

"Dad, did you eat all the pie without me?" Emma's voice called out as she rounded the corner into the room.

Dean glanced between Mary and Sam before clearing his throat. "Uh, no, butterfly. You know I'll always save you a slice," he smiled. Emma sat down beside him and smiled too. He pushed the plate and fork in front of her and she took a bite. "So, you and the Doc, where to next?" Dean asked.

Emma chewed before swallowing. "Uh, the Doctor said something about the past, I think. Somewhere around the 1950s maybe."

"It's really that easy?" Mary asked. "Going back to the past and into the future?"

Emma looked at her grandmother, nodding and smiling brightly. "Super easy. The Doctor flips switches and presses buttons, the TARDIS whirs, we rocket through time and space, and the TARDIS materializes wherever we've landed."

"If it's anything like getting teleported by an angel, I'll pass," Dean remarked.

"Dad," Emma laughed.

"I swear my guts get rearranged every time," Dean said.

"It's not that bad, man," Sam chuckled.

"You weren't the one who couldn't poop for a week, Sammy," Dean glared at him. He shook his head before focusing on his daughter again. "You need a refill on your weapons?"

Emma shook her head. "Dad, there are aliens out there, not demons. Besides, even if there were I still haven't gone through half of the stuff you gave me last time. I'm still stocked full on salt, holy water, holy oil, witch-killing bullets, silver bullets, an Angel blade, you know, the basics," she said repeating Dean's words back then.

"Good, let me know when you run low," Dean said completely serious.

Emma finished her pie and slid the empty plate away. She then turned in her seat and wrapped her arms around Dean. "I love you, Dad. You, Papa, Uncle Sam, and Mary better be safe while I'm gone, okay?"

"We'll survive, kiddo, we always do. No need to worry," Dean reassured Emma with a kiss on the crown of her head. He wrapped his own arms around her and squeezed tightly. "I love you too butterfly. Be safe out there."

"Always."

Emma pulled away and got up to give Sam a hug. "Bye, Uncle Sam."

"Bye, Emmie."

She turned to Mary, hesitating a little before Mary smiled and nodded. She made the first move and stepped forward to hug Emma. "You can call me Grandma, you know. That is... only if you're comfortable, I don't mind."

Emma leaned back to look at the woman in the eyes. "I'm comfortable. Thanks, Grandma."

Dean's face broke out into a goofy grin, his heart melting at the scene in front of him. Even his shoulders relaxed as Sam patted him on the back. Their little family just got a little bit bigger. It was really weird. Mary Winchester was back, alive, and standing in front of them. Something impossible became possible. 

Like an unexpected miracle. 

It was a good thing.