Mama I'm Moving Out

As soon as I got home, I started shoving my shit in trash bags. Yeah, there were transportation methods called 'storage scrolls', but those things cost money I didn't have. It was old fashioned labor for me. I put everything of value into these bags and stashed them in my closet, intent to sneak them out once the sun set. I grabbed a pair of leggings and a casual shirt from Sakura's wardrobe and set out to shower.

I'd probably also do a load of laundry. No way am I hiking up my own water and electric bill when I can do that here. Actually, I wonder how my- Sakura's parents paid for their home. Mother Haruno worked part time as a seamstress and Father Haruno did... I actually don't know. I don't want to know. I realized I'd have to leave a lot of Sakura's stuff behind. There's just no way I could transport bookshelves and the other heavy shit in her room across town and into my apartment.

I crept downstairs, spotting Mother Haruno tending to the back garden. I rushed into the kitchen and took out several grocery store bags before speeding back up to my room. I locked my door and started folding clothes to put them there. If I was discreet enough, I could start moving things now. Besides, I still had to meet the landlord for the key and cash exchange. I put a lot of the clothes bags in my closet and took four in one arm while I climbed out my window.

The great thing about building a reputation as a helpful errand-runner was that no one spared me a glance as I carried four very full bags across town.

"Hello," I greeted who I assumed was the manager at the apartment's lobby. "Are you the manager here?"

"Yes, I am. Who might you be?"

I held out my hand with a polite smile. "Haruno Sakura, ma'am. I filled out an application for apartment 8C the other day?"

Her eyes lit up in remembrance. "Oh! Yes, yes I remember. My, I didn't expect you to be quite so young. I'm Umeda Atsuko." Her hand shake was firm, surprising me a little. She was a bit older, in her late 40s or mid 50s if I had to guess, but she was still very full of strength.

I chuckled nervously, letting my hand fall back down to my side. "It's no surprise, I suppose. I have this month's rent ready if you'd like to collect it already."

"Oh, that's quite helpful. Do you have the security deposit ready as well?"

I nodded, reaching into the folds of the shinobi outfit. "Yes. It was 600 yen, right?"

"Yes indeed! I must say, it's very delightful to have such a prepared tenant." She accepted the money cheerfully while taking a notebook out of her apron. She marked something under a category labeled '8C'. "Let me show you the apartment, dear. Oh, but first, the mail boxes are here on this floor. They're separated by rows, so the third row is where you'll find yours. Here's the key to that."

I thanked the woman sincerely before I followed her up the stairwell. The building was a little old, but it was still a breath of fresh air. Just knowing that I had full freedom here was worth it.

"Tenants are allowed to paint their front doors however they like as long as it's nothing explicit," she informed me cheerfully. "The only rule is that your design must be submitted to me for approval. You can't have large things in front of your apartment, but things like welcome matts and potted plants are perfectly fine. If you ever want a free-roaming pet, such as birds, rabbits, dogs, and cats, you must pay a pet insurance fee. It's an additional 400 yen a month. Pets like lizards, fish, hamsters, and anything else that can live in a tank of sorts are fine without the fee. Trained shinobi animals are not included for the fee. It's mostly to make sure the apartment doesn't get destroyed, you know?"

I nodded, already thinking if I'd ever want a pet. Well, I do want one, but can I keep it? I'll eventually start taking missions outside of the village for an indefinite amount of time.