🌺23🌺

🌺Y/N POV🌺

He, at first, seemed very kind. He sent charming smiles that seemed to enchant your mind. It was as if his smile alone could tell you 'Hello, I am a really good guy. You should befriend me.' But then you look into his eyes.

The eyes belong to that of a snake.

But you can't judge a book by its cover...right?

***

"I want to rip that smug smile off of his face," Efrit grits.

"We all do. You're not the only one. Trust me," Amber sneers.

We were all ordered to leave her study as soon as Duke Crytear entered. She did nothing as he ordered us out. The princess had this look on her face that I couldn't quite read. Like she wanted us to stay but if we left she wouldn't have minded either—the nerve of the guy. But I guess you can do what you want when you're the fiance of the most powerful princess. Still makes me feel almost like a kicked puppy even if it was something as simple as making us leave.

"I'm going to gut him in his sleep!" Efrit seethes.

"No, you won't. Unless you want the Princess to send you back to where you came," Nell speaks.

"So what if she does?! One less bastard in this world!" Efrit punches the wall.

"Efrit you need to calm down," Jade comments.

"Oh come off it. You don't even care. You'd be glad if she got married to the prick and forgot the rest of us!" Amber yells.

I hold myself and try not to listen as they fight over the Duke and the princess.

"There is nothing we can do. We just have to do as the princess and...the Duke, orders," Haun sighs.

"Like hell, I'll listen to that prick!" Efrit roars before storming down the hallway in a rage.

I watch as Efrit turns a corner. Amber has his head in his hands while sitting on the floor. Nell is leaning against the wall looking in Efrit's direction. Haun is standing adjacent to me and Jade is standing near a window looking down at the world below.

"The Duke can't be that bad, right?" I ask anxiously.

"Duke Crytear is a snake," Amber mumbles before standing and following Efrit's direction.

"Duke Crytear is the princess' Fiance. We are just her jewels. He takes priority. Efrit and Amber and just angered by that fact." Nell comments after Amber is gone.

"Are you mad as well?" I ask.

"He was in the picture first. I don't have the right to be enraged or jealous."

"But you still are...aren't you?"

Nell casts me a look before walking down the opposite end of the hallway. Jade sighs and walks away too. Haun pats my head and follows the other two. I stand, alone, outside the princess' study. As I too begin to walk away I swear I can hear heavy breathing and soft sensual sounds.

He may have been here first, but we have been here for a while after.

She won't forget us...Right?

***

"This is Lady Y/N L/N! The final one in my jewel collection you have yet to meet!" Princess Ariana tells the Duke.

"It is nice to meet you Duke Crytear," I stay stiffly.

His presence makes me slip into old habits and horrid memories. Ones I'd rather not relive.

"The same to you Lady L/N," Duke Crytear greets me with his charming smile and snake eyes.

"Why don't you tell him about yourself Y/N" Ariana directs toward me.

"Of course, I am a part of the L/N family known for their great aptitude for trade on the Sorenvale Seas as well- " I begin.

"Bargaining, cheating, lying and being pricks. Sorry Y/n. Tell him about yourself, not your family," Ariana cuts in.

Old habits. That was one of the many things my parents had scripted and plastered around the walls of my mind. It ended with 'as well as getting the best bargain for any deal.' I was taught to bargain everything. I was never very good at it.

"Right," I continue "I, have been with Princess Ariana for some time now. As she said I am the latest jewel in her collection and the only girl in said collection. I enjoy reading and walking out in the garden. Most often I spend my time at the princess or other jewel's sides."

"Interesting, is that all?" The duke asks leaning forward.

"No, I suppose not. I do enjoy helping where I can."

I watch out of the corner of my eye as one of Ariana's maids whispers to the princess.

"How kind of you. You seem like a lovely woman." The duke comments

Woman? I don't think I've ever been called that before. It's always been 'smart kid' or 'kind girl' never a woman. It makes me want to puff out my chest and show the world I could run it only because I was called something to the equivalent of an adult.

"It seems like Efrit has returned and has requested my aid. You two seem to be doing just fine, so I will leave you two. I will return as quickly as possible," Ariana says while retreating to the doors of the tea room.

Instantly a cold chill runs down my back. I glance at the Duke and see the eyes of a snake. A predator and I am a mouse. Cornered. Alone. I no longer feel as confident as before.

"Why are you still here?" He asks.

"Because she said she'd come back," I claim.

"If I said I would come back after leaving how fast would you leave? As soon as I shut the door? Or would you wait for me as well?" He questions.

I stay silent. I would leave as soon as possible so I don't have to see his snake eyes.

"You would run to those doors, wouldn't you? You know I don't need you. So you would leave." he states.

He stands from his chair circles behind mine and grabs the back of it just above my shoulder. In my ear, he whispers.

"So why are you still waiting for the princess? She doesn't need you."

She doesn't need me?

Yes, she does.

Yes, I...I help her right?

Right?

"You are useless to her. I bet your mind is scrambling right now trying to find what your useless life is good for."

He's wrong I-

"The jewels don't need you either. You just get in the way."

No, I know they need me.

They need me.

Otherwise, they would have left me.

"You're just a pretty thing in Ariana's trophy case. A new shiny thing about to collect dust."

No, he's wrong...

Right...?

"Why don't leave already before you do, start collecting dust."

With that, the man leaves and I am left alone questioning everything.

__________________________