Chapter 8

(Val's POV)

As Bruce's family cheers for him, Branch, Poppy, and I stand with them.

"Branch, get up there. Go sing with your brothers," Poppy encourages.

"I'll do it to save Floyd when I have to. But I'm not doing it right now just for 'funsies,'" Branch says, crossing his arms.

"Oh, yeah. Okay. You're probably right," Poppy says in an understanding manner. But deep down, I already know what she's planning.

"No, no, no. You're the one who--Wait. What did you say?" Branch asks.

Poppy glances over to Branch. "You're afraid that singing with your brothers again after all these years will overwhelm you with emotions too powerful for you to handle. I agree with you. I don't think you can handle it, so I think you shouldn't do it."

"I think I can handle singing a song," Branch says matter-of-factly.

"Prove it," Poppy chants. Because of that, me and the other kids chant with her as well.

Branch sighs. "All right. Fine. But this is more than likely beneath me."

As Branch walks over to the stage, I follow him and Poppy plays music from the boombox. A song from BroZone plays and John Dory and Bruce get ready to sing.

Bruce:

My girls like candy, a candy treat

She knocks me right up off my feet.

John Dory:

She's so fine, as can be

It's like a perfect harmony.

The two brothers fist-bump before dancing in unison.

John Dory, Bruce:

Candy girl

You are my world

You look so sweet

Come back to me.

As the crowd starts to cheer, Poppy, Branch, and I stand right next to the stage to get a better view of the performance. Poppy is really hyped up while Branch just stares with a blank expression.

John Dory, Bruce:

All I know

When I'm with her.

John Dory and Bruce point in Branch's direction and pull him onto the stage with them. The three of them continue to dance in unison.

John Dory, Bruce:

You got the right stuff, baby

Love the way you turn me on.

Poppy and I dance to ourselves as well as singing in the background.

John Dory, Bruce:

You got the right stuff, baby

You're the reason why I sing this song.

Branch finally got into the music and stood at the center of the stage.

Branch:

You're all I ever wanted.

Branch, John Dory, Bruce:

You're all I ever needed, yeah

So tell me what to do now