Chapter 16

(Val's POV)

"Veneer!"

We both jolt when Velvet's voice shouts to him. She walks over, holding Floyd in the perfume bottle.

Basically forgetting what I told him, Veneer perks up and holds me out to her. "Look, I caught the human...uh, what is your name?"

Realizing he said the last part to me, I cross my arms with a scowl. "Val..."

"Val! I caught Val!" Veneer says proudly to his sister.

Velvet rolls her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Come on." she says as she ushers Veneer back into the dressing room. "Oh, and we should also hire a new assistant, which feels like a you job."

Veneer gasps all of a sudden, bringing me up to his face. "Hey, do you want to be our new assistant?"

"No," I say almost immediately.

"Oh, come on. It'll be cool. Having a human as the assistant of the two most famous superstars of Mount Rageous. Everyone is going to be so surprised when we go to the Rage Dome. Our fame would skyrocket!" Veneer says.

This is not so convincing. I cross my arms and turn my head away from him. "Still no."

After a good ten seconds, Velvet speaks up with an evil grin. "Fine. That means we'll just have to use up all your friend's talent until he dies."

I quickly look over at Velvet, getting all defensive. "Now, hold on. I am not going to let you hurt him anymore."

Velvet hums in thought before holding out the perfume bottle in front of me. "Work for us, and we promise to let him go after the performance."

"Would he even make it through the concert?" I ask suspiciously.

"Of course. It's only one song. And once we have BroZone as well, there will be plenty of talent for us. So what's it gonna be, human?" Velvet asks.

Looking at Floyd, he shakes his head worryingly.

I sigh and say, "Fine. And you better stick to your word."

"Great!" Veneer says happily. "Now we just need to change your size?"

I give him a confused expression. "What? How?"

Instead of answering my question, Veneer calls out to someone once he and Velvet enter the dressing room. "Crimp! Where do you keep your little gadgets?!"

"In here," a muffled voice says from inside a small closet.

Velvet places Floyd on the table, and Veneer drops me down next to him. Veneer opens the closet and a small, orange creature pushes a box out.

Grabbing the box, Veneer slams the closet shut, leaving Crimp alone in the closet again. He opens the box and looks through it.

Floyd and I glance at each other, our faces showing concern.

"Is this it?" Veneer says, pulling out a spray bottle made out of diamond.

Velvet looks down at the many items in the box. "I don't know. Try it out."

Veneer stands up and walks over to the table, where me and Floyd are at. "Hey, look at this," he says, facing the spray bottle nozzle in front of my face.

"What? It's just a spray bottle," I say as I examine the object.

Not even saying anything, he sprays some sort of glitter substance on my face.

I recoil back, sneezing when some of it got in my nose. "What was that for?!" I ask in frustration.

Veneer tilts his head before looking at the bottle. "Hmm, it should be happening any time now."

"Happening?" I don't get a chance to say anything, because I see a flashing light cloud my vision. I feel myself fall to the ground in an explosion of glitter.

Once the glitter subsides, I open my eyes. I look around and notice something different. Everything is not as big as it was a few seconds ago. "What the--?" I can't even finish my statement because of how shocked I am. "W-what is that thing?" I finally ask, referring to the spray bottle.

"It's some sort of gadget Crimp made. Whatever you spray it on grows bigger. And look at that. Now you're back to human size," Veneer says, looking down at me with a smirk.

I quickly stand up, stumbling a bit since I'm not used to this height. "Does this last forever?" I ask nervously.

Velvet takes the spray bottle from Veneer and looks at it. "No. It has about a one-hour time limit, according to this."

"This is crazy," I mutter to myself.

Velvet walks over to the door, Veneer following her with the box of gadgets. "Great. Now that that's out of the way...clean this up," she says while pointing down at the glitter on the floor.

"What?! Glitter takes forever to clean! And I should know!" I say.

"Well, you're lucky this place is tile-floored," Velvet says before leaving.

The door slides closed once they are both out of sight. The only thing worrying me is the sound of the door locking. And not to mention there is no doorknob.

I sigh before looking over at the glitter. In the corner of the room is a broom. And thank goodness there is, because I would not have wanted to clean this up with my hands.

"I'm sorry I brought you into this mess," Floyd says from the table.

"No, it's not your fault. I wanted to help you." I say, glancing at him. I grab the broom and start sweeping some of the glitter.

The room is pretty silent for the most part. That is until Floyd decides to start up a conversation. "So...how has Branch been doing these past years?"

Still sweeping, I say, "He's been doing great. I mean, yeah he did go through a depressing state, but our other friends helped him out."

Floyd smiles softly at my answer. "That's good to hear. How did you find yourself with the trolls?"

"Branch found me, and I've lived with him ever since in his bunker," I say.

"Bunker? Like a hideout?" Floyd asks.

I shrug. "Yeah, I guess."

Floyd chuckles to himself. "I can't believe he actually built it."

I stop what I'm doing and look in Floyd's direction. "What do you mean?"

"When the band broke up, he promised that we'd build a hideout once I returned to him...but that never happened. It was a good thing he had company though." Floyd says. He does sound a little sad thinking back on that day.

So I decided to change the subject. I lean on the broom while saying, "Yeah, I'm glad I met them. They helped me a lot, too. I learned how to make friends, I got rid of my fear of singing in front of others, and I now have a responsibility as the Peacekeeper of Music."

"No way, really?" Floyd asks, cheering up again.

I nod. "I found out a little more about myself and my kind recently. It's pretty cool."

"Wow, the Peacekeeper of Music. That's really amazing," Floyd comments.

A small smile creeps up onto my face as I stare at him. "Thanks."