Chapter 14

(Val's POV)

Climbing the vents is a lot more tiring than I thought. And it doesn't help that I can't see where I am. The vent shutters are the only way I can look into different rooms.

After a while, I look down through a vent shutter and see a dressing room. There are a few seats and a makeup table. My eyes widen when I see a troll with dark pink hair in a purple diamond perfume bottle. It's easy to assume that that's Floyd.

What worries me the most is how pale his hair looks. He definitely looks drained.

Without another thought, I quietly open the vent and lower myself down with the grappling hook. Unfortunately, the hook slips off the shutter, and I fall face-first onto the table.

It hurt, but it's a good thing that it didn't make too much noise. Although, it did get Floyd's attention. "Uh, hello?" he asks, confused as to who I am.

I quickly stand up and drop the grappling hook, letting out a breath upon seeing him. "You're Floyd, right?" I ask urgently.

Floyd tilts his head. "Yeah...who are you?"

I sigh in relief before saying, "I'm Val. I'm friends with your brothers. And we are here to rescue you."

Floyd stands up immediately after I mention Branch and the others. He places his hands on the diamond bottle. "Wait, you're here with my brothers?!"

I pondered a bit at his question before clarifying my statement. "Technically, they're not here yet. I got here before them. But they should be arriving soon," I say while looking around. "But for the time being, I am hoping to help get you out of here, even if it means taking the whole bottle with me."

Floyd shakes his head. "I don't think that will be possible. You can't get me up into the vents and just walking out the door isn't really an option either."

I step to the edge of the table in thought. "And we would need your brothers, so they can break this diamond bottle."

Looking back at him, he gives me a worried expression. "If that's the case, you should get out of here. Who knows when Velvet and Veneer are going to be back?"

I shake my head. "No, I've made it this far. I'll find a way." I approach the diamond bottle and place my hand on it confidently. "You're going to get out of here. I promise you that."

Floyd seems to be surprised by my words. He looks at my hand before putting his there as well. My eyes widen a bit when he does that, and my heart practically skips a beat since I was not expecting him to do that. But brushing that off to the side, I see him smile appreciatively and nod his head.

Outside of the room, a female voice echoes from a distance. "Hurry up, Veneer! We have to get ready!"

I look at the door nervously. The two pop singers were about to walk in here and I was exposed in plain sight.

"That's Velvet. You have to hide. I'll figure something out." Floyd says, bringing my attention back to him.

My face perks up when a thought comes across my mind. "At some point, play dead."

"What?" Floyd asks.

I hold the grappling hook in my hand and shoot it up to the vent shutter. "Trust me. I have an idea," I say before ascending up to the vent.

The moment I climb into the dark vent, I hear the door open. I slowly calm myself down from how close I was to getting caught.

(Third Person POV)

After a while, Velvet is putting her earrings on at the makeup table, and Veneer is lying on the small couch by the door.