Chapter 20

(Val's POV)

As the car drives down the road at full speed, we eventually lose the crowd of fans. And there is still no sign of my friends.

Velvet, Veneer:

Some of them want to use you

Some of them wanna get used by you

Some of them want to abuse you

Some of them want to be abused.

Catching my attention, Rhonda jumps off from another road, slowly falling alongside us. Branch has a stretchy hand wrapped around him, and he jumps toward Velvet's shoulder pad.

He reaches Floyd without her noticing. "Hang tight, Floyd! We'll get you guys out of here," Branch says reassuringly.

But because of that, Velvet looks over in surprise. She slaps him off her shoulder as she continues to sing with Veneer.

Velvet, Veneer:

Hold your head up, movin' on

Keep your head up, movin' on

Hold your head up, movin' on

Keep your head up, movin' on...

Throughout their singing, the car approaches a tunnel with a sign reading "End of the Road" on it, and my eyes widen when there's no more road a few feet in front of us. I don't even know what I should do at this moment. So I look over at the Velvet to see if she wants me to stop the car or not.

Velvet notices my uncertain expression and motions for me to get up to where she and Veneer are standing.

As quickly as I can, I stand out of my seat and climb up to where they are. After a few seconds, I stand next to Velvet at the back of the car.

Of course, she and Veneer still have to keep up their nice act in front of everyone. And not to make things look suspicious, she grabs my hand as if encouraging me to join them in their singing.

I sigh before putting on a fake smile, now standing between them.

Velvet, Veneer, Val:

Hold your head up, movin' on

Keep your head up, movin' on

Hold your head up, movin' on...

Once the car flies off the road, Velvet grabs my wrist and Veneer grabs the other. All three of us jump off before the car can ram into a building made out of gold. And it's a good thing the cameras are still following us because we each grab one in order to glide down safely on a white yacht.

Velvet:

Yeah...

Velvet grabs my wrist again before I can go anywhere else. They both stare at me with smirks, expecting me to continue singing with them.

Val:

Fame!

Velvet, Veneer:

I'm gonna live forever

I'm gonna learn how to fly.

Val:

High!

Yeah, I'm only singing in the background, only because I don't want to risk taking the spotlight from them and keeping their attention on me.